Point and Shoot or SLR?

View Poll Results: Which do you recommend?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Point and Shoot

0 0%
  • Digital SLR

3 100.00%

Thread: Point and Shoot or SLR?

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoint and Shoot or SLR?

Okay I am having camera issues

I currently have the Canon PowerShot SD450 point and shoot and then I have a Canon EOS Rebel G non digital. I HATE not being able to take decent pictures of Maggie..inside or outside. I try everything I can think of with the digital and just hate using film.

Is it easier to take pictures with the SLR over the Point and Shoot? Can anyone recommend a website to purchase a used SLR digital camera....don't think hubby will let me buy a new one until I can show him they take better pics and that I am going to stick with photography and wanting to be better.

Here are a few examples of what I think are decent pics taken with the P&S camera last month. Please be honest.

And here are a few examples of what I end up with 98% of the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Point and Shoot or SLR?

OK, the short answer to your question is no, you won't get better pictures with a dSLR and with your P&S. The reason being is that you don't understand how to take a good picture. Look at your siggy pic. From the things the camera has control over, it's good picture. It's clear, sharp, the lighting is good (ignore the red eye) and well exposed. From a composition standpoint, which is what you have control over, it's weak. You haven't left enough room above your subject, there's a towel growing out of his head and to go along with that, the back ground is busy.
    Now, lets looks at the last two pictures especially the one in the snow. In both cases you've asked the camera to do something it's not capable of doing. You need to be closer to your subject. Learn the limitations of whatever camera you have. The snow picture is under exposed. Just having a dSLR wouldn't have made this picture any better exposed or the composition any better, if you didn't understand composition or how to get the proper exposure by either using the right auto mode or using one of the creative modes. WE ARE GOING TO GET TO EXPOSURE.
    I don't want to hurt your feelings, but in your instances here a dSLR wouldn't have done any better. I had to learn this the hard way. I figured better camera=better pictures. It has taken me almost 2 years, and several classes to get to the point I'm at now. I still have room for a lot of improvement. "Seeing" a good picture doesn't come naturally to me. I have to work very hard at it. I wish I could "see" shots like WigWag and Lab Addict.
    Bottom line. I would learn to take great shots with your P&S before I upgraded to a dSLR. I really was very disappointed when I was taking the same crummy picture with my dSLR that I had been with my P&S. It's then that I learned that there is more to getting a good picture than the camera. The camera's only about 25% of what it takes. The other 75% is the photographer. A good photographer can get a great picture with any camera and vice-a-versa. I hope this helps and isn't to disheartening.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Buddysmom you did not hurt my feelings at all. I asked for honesty and that is what you gave me...thank you very much.

I think I take better pictures with my film camera but who knows I will work with the P&S and try to get better. I am printing off all the advice and tips from the photo class and hopefully over time I will get better. Thank you again.

Are there any websites that you know of that might help?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Dpreview.com is a great website for camera reviews and has a great forum....

Have you considered getting a better point and shoot, especially one with a super zoom? Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic and few other companies make them. I have a Sony H5 w/ a 12x optical zoom p&s and have taken great pictures with it. It's a blast to use, has many features and has an awesome 3" LCD screen and an incredible 12x zoom that will zoom while you're even shooting videos. Here's a picture I recently took with it. - http://jamespclark.com/moon.jpg

I recently decided to get more serious about photography and upgraded to a Canon 30D dslr. To be honest, I was a bit overwhelmed and frustrated the first couple weeks because it was SO entirely different from my Sony. Most of the pictures I took with it looked like crap because they were way out of focus and blurry, and either over or under exposed. But after shooting thousands of pictures, reading several articles online, and even buying an instructional DVD, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Jim, what lens was that taken with. Here's one I got with the 70-200mm f/4 L.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Jim, what lens was that taken with. Here's one I got with the 70-200mm f/4 L.
    Sony DSC-H5 with a 1.7x teleconverter attached to it on a tripod...

Jimbo....thanks for the link I will check it out. I really want to take better pics...nothing perfect but clearer, sharper etc.

I may look into upgrading the P&S. We have only had it for about a year (wedding gift). I got the book out and have been re-reading and playing around. I actually took a pic my normal way and then took the same pic but playing with settings and it came out so much better.

Thank you both for the help.