How can we tell which picture we should use?

Thread: How can we tell which picture we should use?

lablover is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow can we tell which picture we should use?

For the last assignment I had 2 other pictures that I really like but was not sure which one was the best one to use. All three were of different subjects. Is there anything we should be looking for before we submit "the one"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How can we tell which picture we should use?

I had the same problem, Sue. Especially in lesson #2. I narrowed it down to 3 different pictures, and then just picked the one that looked the best to me. *shrugs*

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

I'm having the same problem. One of the instructors advised me to hold the camera vertically instead of horizontally. I actually did that but it cropped out most of the weathered picnic table which I found was a nice feature of the photo and was the "look" I was going for. I guess it's going to take me a little time to
    get it....LOL!
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I had the same problem, Sue. Especially in lesson #2. I narrowed it down to 3 different pictures, and then just picked the one that looked the best to me. *shrugs*
    Same thing for me. I knowingly pick one that maybe isn't as "correct" as some of the others just because I happen to like it best.
    <br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Out of the 600+ photos I took over the weekend, I somehow managed to narrow it down to 10, and then asked my wife which one she liked the best...

lablover is offline Senior Member

Out of the 600+ photos I took over the weekend, I somehow managed to narrow it down to 10, and then asked my wife which one she liked the best...
    I wished I could get mine husband to just come in and look at mine. He was a photographer in the Air Force. He is having trouble with digital and believes in his camera ... a Nikon N50 with 2 different lens (not sure if this is right 70-210 and 35-80). Last night he told me he thought I should use his camera for this class. :

Maybe we need a post where after the class is closed we could post a couple of the other we liked for that class ... just for the class to look at.

Sadies Mom is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem!! I thought the picture I used was better at applying more of the rules, but I think the other I wanted to use would have been better. It didn't apply as many rules though.... :-\
    <br />Dawn<br />mom to 3 kids, 1 angel, 3 anoles, 2 cats, &amp; 1 lab<br />

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

There is the outtakes thread. Feel free to post any other pictures there after class.

Photography is such an individual thing. I've had the same problem in classes that I've taken. I always seem to pick the wrong photo to post. Try not to over analysize your pictures so much. They begin to run together after awhile. Go with the picture you like the best and that you feel captures the lesson the best. I have to admit I've like some of everyone's outtakes better than the ones they posted. No one is ever going to always like the same picture as some one else. These are your pictures. Choose the one that you like best. What strikes someone as a wonderful picture another person may find boring. If you paid attention to the critiques this week, you would have noticed that I prefer my landscapes to be just that without minor subjects in them. Others love the minor subjects. None of us was right or wrong. Our critiques are colored by our own personal preferences. That's why we have several of us giving critiques. It lets you see that there is more than one way to look at a picture.

Linda and I have an on going "battle". I like my portrait shots taken in portrait orientation. She likes her pictures to have a horizontal look. We're both right and we're both wrong. It's just how we see things. We kid about it all the time. In the picture with the picnic table, I don't like seeing all the table. If you do, who cares what I think? It's your picture. As long as you know the rule and understand why the rule says what it does, that's all you need to know. You're the one that has to look at it. If you like it, then that's all that should ever matter.
    Think of it as the decorator's rule of grouping things in odd numbers. Odd numbers of things are more visually pleasing than even number groupings. Photos with 3 or less objects are visually more appealing in portrait orientation.

Good shooting.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would just love this weather to get better so I can have some sun to take some decent pictures. The few times the sun was out...I was working. :