Questions re: Assignment 2 Critiques - Composition
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions re: Assignment 2 Critiques - Composition

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions re: Assignment 2 Critiques - Composition

If you have any questions about your Assignment 2 Critique or a general question about the assignment now that it is over - post them here.

Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sirhobart is offline Member

DefaultRe: Questions re: Assignment 2 Critiques - Composition

I don't see my critique? I think it should be right after Zoesmom?

sorry, check your email - great shot!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TroopersMom is offline Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a question. I am getting frustrated with my pictures because for some reason a lot of them appear blury. Just like the one I used for assignment 2 with Trooper. I took a lot of pictures and this happened to many of them. I just got this camera recently. I'm sorry if ISO was mentioned before, but does that mean? I have a Pentax Optio now. Someday I want to get a Rebel.

Thanks for all of your help with the advice on pictures!
    ~Laura and Trooper&nbsp;&nbsp; Edgewater, MD<br /><br /><br /><br />

ISO is the speed of the film..Basically, the higher the ISO the greater the speed of the film Do not confuse this with the Shutter speed which is how fast the shutter opens and closes.

ISO 1600 is twice as fast as ISO 800, which is twice as fast a ISO 400, 200, 100...

There is a drawback to using a high ISO, usually above 400...is the picture ends up grainy, but not blurry...I try to stick with ISO 100 and 200 and sometimes 400. Some cameras handle high ISO better than others, i.e. less grain.

The reason you may want to use a high ISO is when you have no flash and you need a decent shutter speed (higher/quicker) to capture an image, but that is more likely to take place indoors and not on a cloudy or sunny day.

I do not think this is causing your blur...maybe you have it set on some weird setting...you may want to call the company. What version of the optio do you have? Model?

I would go to here and look around and maybe post your question there regarding you camera - it is an amazing site to learn photography...if you post, post an example. http://www.dpreview.com
    Check out the camera and forums there...maybe you have it set on a night vision or something like that? Whatever it is, it is not normal and if you can not find the solution - call them, b.c there is something wrong.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

zoesmom -- Nice shot I like the tree, like the dog. Could you take a pic at the same time of day without the pup? Making the tree the subject? Maybe frame out a bit?
    frame out? ???
    Need an explanation on that.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

TheBigRaloo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TroopersMom
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a question. I am getting frustrated with my pictures because for some reason a lot of them appear blury. Just like the one I used for assignment 2 with Trooper. I took a lot of pictures and this happened to many of them. I just got this camera recently. I'm sorry if ISO was mentioned before, but does that mean? I have a Pentax Optio now. Someday I want to get a Rebel.

Thanks for all of your help with the advice on pictures!
    TroopersMom ...
    I saw on your photo that you were set on 'Auto' with no flash, and you got a fuzzy image. I have a Canon and I absolutely MUST use the flash to get a clear shot on the 'Auto' mode (even outside on a perfectly sunny day!). I do not know anything about camera mechanics, but it seems like the 'Auto' mode requires the flash in order to focus? I got so frustrated with my camera.

Now I mainly use the manual mode, and the performace of the camera has greatly improved. Perhaps there was something about 'Auto' that was mis-calibrated ... or perhaps I was using it improperly? Either way, now that I understand how to use Manual, I really don't need 'Auto' at all.

Give your camera a shot is some of the other modes ... you might find your niche afterall!

Ivy and Raleigh - BFF since 2001<br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

I was wondering about the dark area on Abby's legs. Actually, looking at the picture...the right side is dark. Not sure what caused this to happen. I was thinking about cropping it after I saw that I had cut out the lower part of her body. : But I remembered....no cropping/editing. But I didn't use a flash indoors so does anyone think it was the amount of light in the room that caused this to happen?

Yes, I think it was the direction of the light and the reflection off that part of gthe dog's body. I am not sure there is a rule against cropping and editing, but you should not do too much of either...really limit it and you will be fine. If you can do without it, even better...

If there is a rule, I am sorry...

Any reason you did not want to use a flash?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Troopersmom (Laura)

I did a google search on your camera. You have a lot of options to use with this camera, included full Manual control. It seems about the only thing you cannot do is change lens. The focus may be an issue because you do not have it set correctly. According to what I read, you have five different focusing areas and you need to tell the camera which to use, also in one of the settings you need to tell the camera how far away your subject is.

Here are some of your focusing choices ...
    Focus mode (AF, macro, super macro, infinite focus, manual focus, focusing area)

This looks like a pretty versatile little camera. Please read the link I'm posting below to learn more about your camera. Your ISO settings are listed in your menu as Sensitivity, and they go from 50 to 400, a good range.

I can't answer a lot of specific questions about your camera, but I think if you take some time to read the manual and this website, play with the settings, experiment to see what they do, you'll learn more how to use the camera.

If after doing all of that you still have intermittent problems with focus, I would suspect that the camera is damaged in some way.

Read this site for some good info on your camera...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pe...ew/index.shtml

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast