No flash, low lighting and exposure question.

Thread: No flash, low lighting and exposure question.

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultNo flash, low lighting and exposure question.

I hope it is ok to ask this here. If not, just let me know!

I took some pictures of Murphy today, when he was hanging over the back of our couch. The shots were taken in early afternoon, but the light was poor due to overcast skies. I tried to take the shots in 'M' mode, with no flash. ISO 100 and 200 were WAY too low. ISO 200 was *close* to being right, yet still a little dark (to my eyes, anyway.)

I upped the ISO to 400 and got the below picture. Color looked ok to me. Yet, camera shake came into play as the lines are blurred. I assume b/c

The last shot I won't bore you with, but I tried to open it up with an 800 ISO. WAY too bright!

So, my question is this: Is there something I could have done to "brighten" these pictures naturally? Without resorting to photo editing software? Also, when would I proverbially "throw in the hat" and use the flash?

Thanks for the help! I really need to read my "Understanding Exposure" book. If only I could find the time!!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: No flash, low lighting and exposure question.

Before I explain - are you using a dslr? Also what lens did you use if you are and at what zoom and f # did you use and is your lens capable of.

By the way, the shot at ISO 400 looked pretty good as far as light goes, u probably needed just a 1/2 stop more, not a full stop up to 800.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Number 2 is good in my opinion. I would have decreased the shutter speed just one click or maybe 2 to let in more light.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oops! I guess you do need that info!

I use a dSLR. I was shooting with a 50mm F/1.8. I think because this is a "fixed" lens, this limits my ability to change f/stop? Right? Sorry, I am such a goober when it comes to photography!

While I am asking questions....is there any easy answer to define the difference between bokeh and DOF?

Thanks so much!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

You can't change the focal length on a fixed lens. The AV range on that lens goes from f/1.8-22 or more. What shutter speed did you use?

DOF is the amount of blurriness that you get in front and behind the subject. A shallow DOF gives you a lot of blurriness and a broad DOF gives you a very sharp picture all over. Bokeh is the way the blurriness looks and is dependent on the lens you are using. Some lenses give a nicer bokeh than other lens. Hope this helps.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

That seems like it is a really nice lens...here is the deal/

Fixed Lens = You can not zoom. All you can shoot at is 50mm

F-stop (aperature) = On that lens you can go as high as 1.8 (which is really high and allows a lot of light) and as low as probably f22 (very little light)

dof = shooting at 1.8 will blur the background, while f22 will keep virtually everthing in focus.

I still need to know what the setting where that you shot it at to make a recommendation...

But try this...at 50mm, you will pretty much need a shutter speed of at least 1/40 to1/50th of a second and be steady to avoiding any camera shake. Therefore, start at ISO 100 and a speed of 1/50 of a second - then adjust the f number. However, 1.8 may not be low enough, but you can't get lower...so then you can up the ISO to 200 and see if you can shoot as far as the f number goes...then if you still can shoot, then go to 400 and so on... does that help?

THANK YOU! To both of you!

Both of your responses make a whole lot of sense. Thank you both for putting things into understandable terms.

Is there a learning curve to this whole process? I *thought* that I used to take a "decent" picture in full auto mode. Now that I am changing ISOs, AVs, etc, I feel like I have lost the ability to take a sharp photo. I got kind of frustrated today, as I have taken well over 250 pictures in the past 48 hours, and could barely come up with something to present to you all.

*sigh*

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    THANK YOU! To both of you!

Both of your responses make a whole lot of sense. Thank you both for putting things into understandable terms.

Is there a learning curve to this whole process? I *thought* that I used to take a "decent" picture in full auto mode. Now that I am changing ISOs, AVs, etc, I feel like I have lost the ability to take a sharp photo. I got kind of frustrated today, as I have taken well over 250 pictures in the past 48 hours, and could barely come up with something to present to you all.

*sigh*
    I highly recommend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson... He covers the basics of exposure like the importance of aperture and DOF, shutter speed & light. He also teaches this class online. http://www.ppsop.com/site/unex.html

Here's another site that might be helpful... http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php

Anne, yes there is a learning curve. Sometimes I still say that I take better photos with auto. It really is OK to use the auto modes. Not everyone wants to use the creative side of their camera. That's OK. Just learn to use the compositon rules. Most of us just want to take nice pictures that we can be proud of.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie