REAL newbie here...can someone help explain to me these functions/numbers?

Thread: REAL newbie here...can someone help explain to me these functions/numbers?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultREAL newbie here...can someone help explain to me these functions/numbers?

I am reading my Canon Rebel XTi manual (again) and am simply just not getting the AV, TV, and F-values? I am learning how to change things (though I haven't been able to get the negative AV values?) but I don't know why or what things actually "do." And what do you do with the 1/125 values, and what do they mean?

Sorry...got some fun photos I think for the week #2 assignment, but I'm coming into this a week (or more) late and am still trying to figure all of this out. :-\

Oh, and one more question- how do you figure out what to put under your photos for the assignments (can I look it up after shooting photos or is it something you have to know before shooting them)?

Thanks, and sorry if this is just too basic...I appreciate any help.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: REAL newbie here...can someone help explain to me these functions/numbers?

Here's a good article on Shutter Speed, Aperture, & ISO...
    http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=135

There's also good info here...
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,32294.0.html

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: REAL newbie here...can someone help explain to me these functions/numbers?

Julie, don't stress about it too much. We are going to cover these things in depth over the next few weeks. Don't try to take it all in at once. It gets to be too overwhelming.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I'm with Julie....I am clueless in Hawaii.

I took over a hundred pics today and came up with probably...um...2 that I think is "passable." oy
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Linda, get used to that. Even the pros don't get a much better average.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Monnie. And you too, Linda.

The manual really doesn't help me when I don't know the meaning of fstops; shutterspeeds; ISO, etc. Today, I set it any which way, and got some very, very overexposed pics (this was when it was still dawn)

So I compensated, and then it was way too underexposed.

towards the end, I just decided to do auto. :-\
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Linda, one way to get an idea of what settings to use for each value is to set your camera to auto, press the shutter half way, look thru the viewfinder or at the LCD and see what setting the camera says to use. Then put the camera on manual, set the SS and AV to those setting and take the picture.

Let's see if I can give you a quick starting place.

Let's say this set of valves would give you a well exposed picture on sunny day.

ISO 100
    AV f/16
    SS 1/100 BTW this is refered to as Sunny 16. Back in the film days, this setting could usually be predicted to give you a decent exposure.

Now if one of the values changes (either up or down), another value will have to change in the opposite direction.
    ISO 100
    AV f/11
    SS 1/160

If you're shooting near dawn at the beach on a clear day, try these settings.

ISO 400 or 800 depending on just have dark it is. Real dark 800, getting light 400
    AV f/5.6 Set this by depressing the shutter half way and releasing, now push the AV button on the back of the camera while turning the thumb wheel on top of the camera.
    SS after you set the AV, press the shutter half way, and turn the thumb wheel until the exposure slider is on the middle of the scale. Now take your picture. If it's too dark, decrease your SS. If it's too light, increase your SS.
    This is just the cliff notes of how to set manual setting.
    Choose ISO by how sunny or dark it is outside
    Choose AV by how much light you want to let into the camera or how much Depth of Field you want.
    Let the camera choose the SS by turning the thumb wheel til you have the right exposure.

If this is like a foreign language to you, WE WILL BE GOING OVER THIS SO MUCH BETTER IN A LATER LESSON.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

labby is offline Senior Member

When I took photography classes years ago, the first thing we learned before we were sent out to actually use the cameras was the basics of the camera settings. How can you expect to create good photos if you cannot properly work the camera besides the basic settings? Just my 2 cents which isn't much.

Laura

Laura and anyone else interested. Most point and shoot cameras do a good job with exposure. With the shots a lot of people post on JL the problem isn't with exposure, it's with composition. People would look at some of the better photo and admire them. The difference between their shots and the ones they felt were better wasn't always with exposure, it was with composition. Linda knew that some on here had fancier cameras and could do more, but felt that would leave a lot of the P&S people out. Also, some people might just want better pictures while just letting the camera do all the work. Yes, photography classes do teach camera exposure basics. Some class though, just teach compositon. The best class I ever took was an internet class through my local Tech College and Ed2Go on the web called Secrets of Better Photography. All that was taught was composition and photo editing.
    Trust me. You can know all about shutter speeds, ISO, and aperture values and still get crappy shots. I've been there. If you don't understand composition, you still won't be happy with your pictures. It's the old which came first the chicken or the egg. Years ago with film 35mm cameras, you had better have known how to expose and focus (yes, they are different things) the shots yourself. You better have known about SS, ISO, and AV, if you ever wanted a decent picture. With todays cameras that do the focusing and exposing for you, you don't need this info to take great pictures. WigWag is one of the best at capturing images I've seen. She admits that she uses the auto settings. What makes her pictures great is the composition. She has an eye for a picture. WE will get to all the other stuff. This is just a fun little undertaking to teach people how to take better photos of their dogs or anything they want to photograph. It's not an indepth, inclusive college course on all there is to know about photography. Please give us a break. We're trying to do sometime nice here. For the price, I think it's a bargain in whatever order the subject gets taught.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Marley is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I am reading my Canon Rebel XTi manual (again) and am simply just not getting the AV, TV, and F-values? I am learning how to change things (though I haven't been able to get the negative AV values?) but I don't know why or what things actually "do." And what do you do with the 1/125 values, and what do they mean?

Sorry...got some fun photos I think for the week #2 assignment, but I'm coming into this a week (or more) late and am still trying to figure all of this out. :-\

Oh, and one more question- how do you figure out what to put under your photos for the assignments (can I look it up after shooting photos or is it something you have to know before shooting them)?

Thanks, and sorry if this is just too basic...I appreciate any help.
    just gonna take a quick stab at this since I know how frustrating it can be to learn these things. This is all based on my own know-how so it may not be entirely correct but it should get you started to understanding I think

AV, TV, And F stops:

AV is aperture priority mode. This means you set the aperture to the desired setting and the camera picks the shutter speed for you. Aperture determines two things. How much light is let in and how much of the image will be in focus (called depth of field). The lower the aperture number the faster the shutter speed will be, but less of the image will be in focus perfectly.

TV is Shutter priority mode. This means you set the shutter speed, and the camera picks the correct aperture for you. Faster shutter speeds will give you sharper pictures, where slower ones will give you better actions shots due to blurred backgrounds. The higher the shutter speed (say 1/125) the less light is let into the camera. Long exposures let more light in but are subject to blurring unless using a tripod. You can't reliably hand hold a shot less than 1/60 without some type of blur for the most part (at least not most people anyway). The 1/125 is the fractions of a second that the shutter will stay open. Lighter pictures require higher shutter speeds, thus higher numbers.

F stops are aperture settings on the lens. I use my 70-200 f/4L quite a bit so I'll just use that for an example. 70-200 is of course the zoom or focal range of the lens. It will take a picture anywhere from 70 mm to 200mm. The F stop(number after the F) refers to the aperture setting of the lens. The F stop listed is its lowest (or fastest) aperture setting, which will let in the most light and give you fastest shutter speeds.

Fast is not always necessary though, it really depends on the subject you are shooting. I could have purchased a 70-200 f/2.8 but aside from my budget not allowing it, there was not much need for what I normally shot (racing), since i'm usually shooting around f/7 and up to get blurred backgrounds.

Close up shots or portraits with lower f stops are neat because you get the subject in focus but the background will blurred.

Hope that kinda helps!

-Justin