M setting

Thread: M setting

sirhobart is offline Member

DefaultM setting

I'm not sure if this is where I post questions about my camera (my girlfriend usually posts to this site but I'm interested in the Photography 101 so I've started) Anyway, I have a Nikon D80, I've been playing around with my manual setting (M) but have noticed that in the viewfinder there is only one point (of the possible 12, i think) that allows me to focus on my subject. The point is on the lower left and so anything that is in the center or right is out of focus if it is not at the same distance. A couple of times my lab has been at the center of the picture and I snap it only to discover later that the tree to his left is in focus and he's out. I've looked through my manual and haven't found any where were I can change my focual point. Can anyone help. Thank you. And thank you for starting this class I've already learned so much just by reading everyones critiques.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: M setting

I'm not familiar with how it works on the Nikon, but on my Pentax those points of focus are adjusted with the four arrows surrounding the OK button on the back of the camera. Try pressing thoughs while you're looking through the viewfinder and see if that moves the point of focus. If that doesn't work, someone with a Nikon will chime in and help

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Find your manual and look up Autofocus points. It should tell you how to change them. I have a Canon and I have a button I push and then use the scroll wheel to change points. Raian should see this. She has a Nikon camera. She'll probably know how to do it. Until then, focus with the one that autofocus'. While holding down the button to lock focus, move the camera to recompose the shot.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Aim is offline Senior Member

I've had this same thing happen. I didn't realize you could manually change the point of focus on the camera. LOL. I've just been taking a step or two back until what I want to come into the point of focus does. lol
    This is my dog. His name is Tucker. And we live in Ontario, Canada, eh! <br /><br />

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

This is for the Nikon D80. I hope it's helpful to you.

The AF Area Mode option (02) on the Custom Settings Menu lets you select between Single Area, Dynamic Area, and Auto AF modes. Single Area AF simply means that the camera judges focus based on one part of the subject, and the user can manually select the AF point by pressing the arrow keys. Dynamic Area AF employs all of the autofocus points, though you can still manually select the main point. When Dynamic Area focusing is enabled, the camera first focuses on the subject in the primary focus area. When the subject moves to a different AF area, the camera shifts the focus to "follow" the subject. This is great for irregularly moving subjects. (Sports and kids come to mind.) The Auto-area AF option means that the camera first focuses on the subject in whatever single AF area is selected, but will switch to Dynamic Area AF if it detects subject motion. In any of the modes, you can change the primary focus area by unlocking the focus area selector (the Four-Way Arrow pad on the back panel) and then shifting the focus area using the up, down, right, or left arrow directions on the control rocker. You can lock the focus area selection by turning the switch back to the lock position. By default, the D80 does not "wrap" the focus area selector as you scroll between focus areas. Through the Custom Settings menu though (option 20), you can opt for a "Wrap" function. What this means is that if you press the right arrow key again, after the right focus area is already selected, the selection will immediately jump to the left focus area. The same thing happens when moving the focus area selection vertically as well.

The center focus area of the D80 can be set to either a normal or wide zone, through Custom Settings Menu option 03. The wider zone could be better for initially acquiring a moving subject, particularly when combined with the Dynamic Focus option.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add... even though you set your camera on Manual, you can still use Auto Focus. The two are not related. You have a setting on the camera near the lens mount for changing your lens to manual or auto focus, and some lenses have the setting on the lens as well. If you have settings on both the camera and lens, you need to put both on M to override the auto focus.

With my zoom lens I often need to switch to manual focus as the auto wants to focus on whatever is in the foreground and usually I'm shooting well beyond the foreground (into trees for example).

Good luck and keep shooting.

chocco_23 Guest

Hi,
    I have a FUJI FINEPIX E550 and was wondering what exactly setting the shutter speed and aperture in the manual function does. I know the shutter speed allows how much light there is, but does a higher shutter speed allow less light or more? And what is aperture?
    I have an intrest in photography and know what all of the functions do apart from shutter speed, aperture and manual.

Thanks

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

All three affect lighting. The higher the shutter speed the less light get into the camera. SS controls how long the lens stays open. Aperture controls the size of the lens opening. The SMALLER the number the wider the opening. An aperture of f/4.5 will let in more light than an aperture of f/16. You combine all three, ISO, SS, AV, to come up with a correct exposure for your picture.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

chocco_23 Guest

ok, thankyou i will have a fiddle. lol