Action shots on an overcast day?

Thread: Action shots on an overcast day?

WigWag Guest

DefaultAction shots on an overcast day?

I use my "action mode" a lot but I only get really crisp clean action shots when I have bright sun to work with - lots of light = quick shutter speeds correct? So when I have an overcast day and I want to take some shots of the dogs I get blurred tails, etc. This will help me when taking photos in the indoor ring at the barn. It's so dark in there and everything comes out terrible. My husband keeps giving me a hard time about not taking good photos. I have a big flash as well that is supposed to throw light 90 feet. Help?

They all come out like this:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Action shots on an overcast day?

I think what's happening is that even though you're in action mode, which is supposed to have a fast SS, because of the lack of lighting the camera is stopping down the SS to allow more light into the camera. This slower shutter speed is giving you the blurred motion. I would put the camera on M, set the ISO at 400 or 800, use an aperture setting of around f4.5 or less if the lens will go lower, and the use the shutter speed to get the correct exposure. You need a SS of at least 1/125 or greater. You could also use the AV setting on the camera. Set your ISO and AV then let the camera choose the correct SS.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

TheBigRaloo is offline Senior Member

Thanks, buddysmom, for this answer ... I have this same problem: great photos on sunny days, mediocre otherwise. I just printed your answer, and am taking Ivy outside (it's overcast!) to practice. Thanks!
    Ivy and Raleigh - BFF since 2001<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sharon, what lens are you using? A lens rated at 1.4 will give you more light to work with (and crisper images) but when you get down in that range you start to spend some big $$$.

Another thing you can try is to set your WB for "shade" or "Cloudy". This will give you additional light.
    But it still will not be the crisp brights you will get outside in full sun.

In the big scheme of things, you will never get a shot from indoors with bad lighting to look like one shot outdoors in ideal lighting. And, shooting a dark horse is as bad as shooting a dark dog, you have to set them up to get the most ideal light on them, and then your main focus, your child, will be overexposed.

I'm surprised you are allowed to use flash indoors with the horses anyway. Mine would all spook and that would play havoc with junior riders

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sharon, I like this site. I've learned a lot about using my camera from him.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70/d70-settings.htm

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sharon, another thing about a f/1.4 lens is that it has a view shallow DOF. If you use the lower apertures, it will be hard to get everything in focus and crisp. Look at this picture of Buddy.
    It was taken with the 50mm f/1.8 lens set at AV f/1.8. Notice how sharp Buddy's eyes are? Now check out his nose. Although I did do some selective sharpening on the nose, it's still a little blurry. This is because of the shallow DOF of the f/1.8 aperture. I should have set the AV to around f/2.8 or so. This would have kept the nose in focus and given me enough light for the shot.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie