"The Rule of Thirds"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Rule of Thirds"

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Default"The Rule of Thirds"

http://www.digital-photography-tips....or-thirds.html

The rule of thirds is a way of describing where to place focal points in a photograph.

Focal points are the areas of interest in a photograph. If you are taking a portrait, the obvious area of interest is the person’s eyes. If you are taking a landscape it could be a tree in the foreground.

Here’s the first digital photography tutor tip – don’t put the areas of interest in the middle of the photograph! People do. Regularly. And I can never work out why?

Photographs work better when the area (or areas) of interest are placed off center.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "The Rule of Thirds"

Thanks for the link. I believe Monnie will be going over this in our next lesson on Composition. Stay tuned!

Just my 2cents but i think the instructors should go over the basics of how to use a camera i.e. Apeture,shutterspeed, and exposure and how they are related before you jump to composition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

When I took the picture I purposely had in mind the rule of thirds ... but I'm not sure I got it right -- yes or no?

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Three muskateers
    Just my 2cents but i think the instructors should go over the basics of how to use a camera i.e. Apeture,shutterspeed, and exposure and how they are related before you jump to composition.
    I agree... Instead of just setting your camera to AUTO mode and taking the picture.

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

True. Most of us do not know what ISO, and all those other acronyms are. We are very basic photographers. While I may have a good eye, and know how to set up my shots, I don't know how to work the settings.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

We will begin to explain how things work on your camera. Although we don't know how every knob and button works on your particular camera, the generality of it will be the same... you will just have to learn how to use your own camera as we explain. A good point of reference is your camera's manual. It will tell you how to work all the features your camera has. Make it a point to go over your manual. If you have lost your manual, you can google it, and find good information on how to use your particular camera. When we can, we will be specific with certain camera models.

Monnie will be introducing the next lesson soon. As we continue to go through the lessons you will be exposed to more and more of the workings of your particular camera, and how you can get the best shots from it.

We hope that everyone will walk away from these lessons with some good, sound advice. And most importantly, with the knowledge necessary to take better photos.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Jimbo, if you would like to be assigned a subject to give a lesson on, I'm sure Linda would love to give you one. By posting your Rule of Thirds, you jumped in before the other instructors had a chance to post their lessons. All help is welcome, but sometimes it's best to offer your assistance to the instructors.

3Musk - Not everyone taking these lessons has the manual settings on their cameras. After this lesson, Linda is going to divide the people into groups. Those that want to learn the workings of AV, TV, M will get plenty of experience.
    Let's let the instructors teach this in the way they want to.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I am aware that not everyone has the manual settings, what I meant was it is important to know what apeture,shutterspeed,iso, exposure is before you get more advanced. You can teach however you like I just made a suggestion.

imported_kelli is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Jimbo, if you would like to be assigned a subject to give a lesson on, I'm sure Linda would love to give you one. By posting your Rule of Thirds, you jumped in before the other instructors had a chance to post their lessons. All help is welcome, but sometimes it's best to offer your assistance to the instructors.
    Holy shit jim.. be careful before she gets out her meter stick and slaps you on the knuckles, bad boy!
    &quot;I&#39;m glad I&#39;m back too, Kel. You know your so special to me. Could not imagine my life without you in it. &quot; - Ma<br /><br />They were your words, Ma.. I wish they had been mine. I miss you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast