Stories behind your pictures....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories behind your pictures....

Yellardawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultStories behind your pictures....

We've all heard it, a picture is worth 1000 words. Did you consider this when you composed your picture? What story are you trying to communicate?

For example

This picture has a story....and it well may be distracting and busy...we all have opinions (believe me, I do appreciate everyone's perspective and constructive critisism). We have individual tastes and that's part of what makes this fun.

The story I see may be different from what you see, but here is my story in a nutshell....

Dog, doing what she was bred to do, focused on the task at hand.

Her camo vest, protection in the harsh environment of the swamp flats.

the poles are remnants of an old duck blind, ravaged by repeated hurricanes and very little of it left and a reminder that nature is tough.

Dark areas on the poles show the high water marks which can communicate how easily and often the environment changes

the barnacles communicate that she is in a coastal area instead of an inland impoundment or river.

all of this comes together at the point that we are there and reminds me of how lucky we are to be allowed to enjoy those times.

Now...the fun part is you might see something entirely different (feel free to share).

What do your pictures say...did you consider what they are saying before you pressed the button?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stories behind your pictures....

I like your story! And your picture!

I really didn't don't have much of a story behind mine.

I was out with both dogs, looking explicitly to take a picture for this assignment. My initial thought was to try and get an action shot of both of them running. But, Murphy (always the silly boy) was too busy snuffing around in the snow. I turned my attention on Riley, but then turned around to see Murphy sitting on this knoll, the light looked really good where he was, so I took the picture.

I didn't have the chance to change ISO or to stop the camera up (or down!)

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

This was my Assignment #1

No story, but this is Zoe's most favorite place in her whole world.
    Unfortunately, it was overcast both days that we went, and I knew nothing about operating my new camera. I think I've taken better ones w/my point and shoot.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    This was my Assignment #1

No story, but this is Zoe's most favorite place in her whole world.
    Unfortunately, it was overcast both days that we went, and I knew nothing about operating my new camera. I think I've taken better ones w/my point and shoot.

Does it capture her personality in any way? When I look at it, I feel connected to her. It's a good picture, you've got a good eye and you're going to learn your camera and get better results.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

This was my picture for the first assignment. I'm not sure it has a special story or anything but it shows a side of Molly that I love and that I'm starting to see more often. Her eyes just screamed sweetness to me in that picture and that's my girl in a nutshell, she's sweet and I love her.

*Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

The story behind my picture is that I love, Love, LOVE to see labs in, what I perceive to be, their natural environment. When I take Sami out in the woods, or to the fields, I believe I can actually see her smile! It just makes her so stinkin' happy that I end up taking her almost every day! (That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!)

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our neighbor had a huge tree cut down & Molly was sniffing around, I think she smelled critters. But as soon as I told her to sit & the camera came up...back went her ears. I love to take photos of my labs out in the field but with the nasty PA weather lately, it's been hard. I liked the cut trees in the background but Molly isn't looking too pretty.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Cray, just remember that if there is too much to digest in a photo that people will not take the time look for a story. I would have removed the forward post because I see it first and miss the dog and the rest of the picture. The pole behind the dog tells the same story with the dark waterline and barnacles.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

I go to work & come home in the dark, so if I'm going to take an outdoor shot w/o flash, it's gotta be on the weekend. This weekend it snowed really hard w/o letup.

All the above to explain I knew I'd be taking an action shot. Ruffy dearly loves to run & play, but he loves most of all to play w/other dogs! Luna, my snow white BC, was delighted to join the fun.

Luna can out-run & out-maneuver Ruffy any day, any time! I got a few shots I liked better than this one, but they seemed to showcase Luna more . . . & this was supposed to be a Ruffy photo.

You know, with 3 dogs I take the shot of the one who's performing on the day. Most of the time, I just jump around like a mad thing clicking away w/o a thought other than "I hope I got it, I hope I got it." I really liked your post suggesting we think about what message (or story) our photo is supposed to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellardawg
    Dog, doing what she was bred to do, focused on the task at hand.
    FWIT, that's EXACTLY what I thought when I first saw your photo in the assignment thread.

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Cray, just remember that if there is too much to digest in a photo that people will not take the time look for a story. I would have removed the forward post because I see it first and miss the dog and the rest of the picture. The pole behind the dog tells the same story with the dark waterline and barnacles.
    I appreciate your opinion and please don't hesitate to share it in the future. BUT...have you ever seen the movie Amadeus? The quote "Too many notes." comes to mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast