Questions re: Critiques Go Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions re: Critiques Go Here

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions re: Critiques Go Here

I have a few questions:
    Here was my critique from raian:
    zoesmom -- I'm wondering why you've chosen such a high ISO? You have nice exposure on this, but
    I think it could have been even better had you chosen a lower ISO and increased your shutter speed.
    1/25 is very slow and you do have some blurring (probably need a tripod at this slow speed). Using
    a high ISO is generally for fast moving sports shots or very low light conditions. Being at the
    beach you could have probably gone with 200 or 400 ISO (it does look a bit cloudy) and increased
    that shutter speed and gotten a very sharp image. Nice composition.
    My ISO was high because it was still pretty dark when I shot the pic. How do you folks change the ISO and shutter speed so quickly so as not to able to miss the shot? I don't think I know how to change my shutter speed yet. Must read the manual. :-\

If I did go w/a 200 or 400 ISO, and increased my shutterspeed, would I still be able to take a pic in dawn conditions?

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very helpful!! Even reading all the other critiques. (I posted a pic of Zoe in L/C and noticed right away after reading your critiques that I cut off part of her ear. Would never have noticed that if I were not in this class)
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yellardawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions re: Critiques Go Here

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom

My ISO was high because it was still pretty dark when I shot the pic. How do you folks change the ISO and shutter speed so quickly so as not to able to miss the shot? I don't think I know how to change my shutter speed yet. Must read the manual. :-\
    You set the ISO speed based on conditions. If it's relatively sunny and you aren't taking action pics, you can get away with a lower ISO. Shutter speed on the XT (I assume it's the same for the XTI) is easily set when in Manual mode by using the wheel (Index finger near button), the aperature value is easily changed by holding the AV button (top button, thumb area on the back of the XT) and turning the wheel.

Looking at my pic...the exif info says 8:28 am...but I looked at my camera (I knew that wasn't right because I was back at the dock at 8:28) and it was an hour ahead...so real time was 7:28am (according to the gps, Sunrise that day was at 6:46am...need to know for legal shooting time). So, we are talking about low light, she is facing ENE in the photo. Exposure time: 0.0100 s (1/100), Aperture: f/4.0, ISO equiv.: 100. So, iso was low, exposure was faster than yours and lens aperature was open almost as far as it could go. So, yes, you could still take pics at dawn.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Cray answered you well. I choose my ISO first, depending on the conditions I'll be shooting in. If it's a bright sunny day, I will choose ISO 200 (my Nikon starts at 200). If conditions are cloudy, dark, dreary, I'll bump it up to 400 or 800 before I even start adjusting aperature and shutter speed.

You'll need to play with your ISO to see what kind of pictures your camera gives you. At 800 or above I get a lot of "noise" in my shots (graininess). Sometimes this can't be avoided.. you either want the shot with a bit of graininess in it, or you can't get the shot at all.

Shutter speed and f/stop is adjusted by your little thumb wheel, and the more you use it the faster you'll get at changing it.

Keep shooting!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!!

also, I thought we couldn't crop. ???
    DO NOT CROP OR ALTER YOUR PHOTOS for this class. You are trying to learn to take a good picture right out of the camera, not by using photo shop magic Wink
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

When we refer to cropping we mean with your feet. Move closer or further away from your subject to frame it properly in your camera

At this stage, we'd like for you not to physically crop the shot (in Photoshop, etc) because we want you to learn how to take the best shot you can out of the camera. And we know you can do it

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    When we refer to cropping we mean with your feet. Move closer or further away from your subject to frame it properly in your camera

At this stage, we'd like for you not to physically crop the shot (in Photoshop, etc) because we want you to learn how to take the best shot you can out of the camera. And we know you can do it
    ah, I see.
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

chocco_23 Guest

Hi,
    I thought the critiques were very helpful, I have now learned not to take a picture when the light is behind my subject.
    This my be a dumb question but what is a ISO? And how do I change it on my camera, FUJIFILM FINEPIX E550?
    Thanks

P.S. When will the next assignment be?

Monnie will be posting assignment #2 either tonight or tomorrow. You will all have a week to do it.

In the old days ISO was known as ASA (the speed of the film you purchased). Today's digital cameras use ISO settings to help them gather necessary light needed for exposure. As a rule of thumb, an ISO of 100 is good for sunny days. On cloudy days use ISO of 200 or 400. For indoor or night shots use higher ISO. Just be aware that the higher the ISO you use, the more "noise" will appear on your photos. Camera "noise" is shown as a grainy-ness.

Your camera may or may not allow you to select the ISO. My best advice is to read your manual to see if you can select ISO or if the camera will do it automatically for you all the time.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the critique. I still have a lot of work on my composition. Also, when I downloaded the photos to my computer I saw how dark they were. I sometimes forget to change the manual settings. Just learning how to take a nice picture of a black lab will be worth all the "deletes" I make, and there are plenty of them.

We will give you plenty of practice Georgie. Keep hitting that shutter button

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast