Hair question....

Thread: Hair question....

DefaultHair question....

My lab is almost 5 months on now, weighing almost 40lbs. Hes a great looking lab but there is one thing i dont like. Its the longer hair that runs down his back. He does not have the short hair like i see on most labs. Is this just cause hes a puppy? Do they grow into their hair? Here is a pic but you probably cant tell in the picture...

Edit: Now that the pics are posted i realize that you cant tell what im talking about /sigh It starts at his neck and goes all the way to his tail. Its like a distinct spot where the long hair stops and the new hair begins

Oh, and for the second time today, by a Lab owner at that, he asked me if he was a LABRADODDLE!!! omg i was about to freak

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hair question....

Some labs have short hair all over and some have waves, even fluffy curls, on their upper back, and some have a little wave on the top of the rump. They're all labs and all lovable. Mitzi's hair got wavy and curly as she got older. Judy's is straight and thinner.

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

I have no idea about Davis' fur, but he's just adorable . . .*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly straight longish or short, doesn't matter cause he's sooo cute. i think his coat will always be changing though depending on the time of year and his age.

What do you know about his parents?

From his pictures he looks exactly like my Lexus did at that age! Lexus is from a line of field Labradors and not from a line of comformation (show) Labradors. I think a great majority of the Labradors you see in pictures on this site and/or in a normal every day setting would be from the comformation lines of Labradors. These Labradors are generally more block like, thick; the idea that most people have when they think of a Labrador. However, the field lines are generally more slender, sleeker looking, and don't carry the exact same coat of fur as the comformation Labrador's do. The comformation Labradors need that short dense coat for water work. Whereas varriations on the field lines have a slightly different coat because they were bred for different work; field Labs are built for speed and are generally smaller in body frame with longer looking legs. Most comformation Labradors can be held very tightly to the breed standard; whereas field line Labradors were not bred based strictly for appearance but moreso for other qualities (thus creating a large varriation in the way they can look). You can read up on the differences between the two if you are interested in knowing more. But that could definitely be a reason for his unusual fur growth; Lexus has longer hair on her back as well.

All our dogs have longer wavey hair on their back and fluffy hair on their necks - not sure why some have longer or shorter hair than others. My dog Doc and his brother Bump (parents dog) both have softer coats than Duke and Bink, even though Duke, Doc, and Bump have the same dads. It's confusing if you don't have the pedigree sheet to look at, but three dogs are related through fathers (one has a different mother. The last has different mother and father - but mother has sister of the others mother - ok, I just confused myself... :

rexduke Guest

labradoodle, huh, I think NOT! he is all lab, and a cute one too.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If anyone asks about him being a labradoodle then they have never seen one. I've never seen a labraddodle that looked anything CLOSE to a lab really. Just some lab features. Though if anyone has seen a doodle look more lab than mix let me know! I'm sure there are some

Doesn't sound like anything too out of the ordinary. Some labs have a wave down the back, could that be what you are describing?

Your pup is a cuty!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Bryan, you can kind of see in this picture of Frankie, how his hair is course and wavy down his back. That's perfectly normal for a lab.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"