Our New Lab Pups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our New Lab Pups

shannigan is offline Junior Member

DefaultOur New Lab Pups

We got 2 new littermates at 4 weeks old. It wasnt from a breeder but a friend, however, both parents are full bred Labradors.
    The mother was 7 yrs old and she stopped nursing them at 3 weeks old because their teeth came in and was making her teets bleed. The owner started them on solid foods and water and we picked them up a week later.
    We dewormed them and fed them Royal Canin Maxi Starter. They did great on it and were growing 3 lbs./week. They got their first shots at 6 weeks and tomorrow they are getting their 2nd round of shots.
    They came to us at 4.8 and 5.5 lbs and now they are about 15 lbs at 9 wks.

I did not want to get 2 because I heard horror stories about littermates. But my husband thought it would be better to train them together instead of waiting a year to get another. I do have to take them outside separately because they will play instead of using the potty.
    Its a lot of work, but they are so sweet. I know once we get thru this first year, it will be worth it.

Does anyone else have littermates? Any suggestions on Dos and Donts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

cute puppies !
    what are their names ?
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats on the pups, very sad they were released at 4 weeks but c'est la vie.

Make sure to train them seperately, take them on seperate outings (walks, trips in the car, obedience classes), that they have seperate crates, etc. They need to spend one on one time with you the humans (without their sibling there) as much as possible.

you want to avoid them being dependant on one another and stunting their development (mental) which is what happens very often with littermates. They need to spend as much time away from one another as you can (and then some) starting right now and as often as you can until they have fully developed (2-3 years).

don't treat them like "a unit". the puppies. they are two individual beings with individual needs.

hopefully this friend doesn't have a litter again. that is pretty old for a female to have a litter and the litter should have remained together even if mom was not feeding (for socialization). If one wants to dabble in breeding they are responsible for doing it right even when it gets hard.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Everything Tanya said. I have two that are three weeks apart. Its very possible to raise two pups but you do have to train individually, take time with them each to walk, play etc. it is time consuming but worth it.

They are adorable! Best of luck to you!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

If a "friend" has 2 dogs that have a litter of puppies, they ARE a breeder. Not a good or reputable breeder, but a breeder none the less.

Shame they got rid of the puppies so young. Just because they get teeth and are ready for real food is not a reason to get rid of them.

I would recommend that you tell your friends to fix their dogs so that they don't have litters again.

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    If a "friend" has 2 dogs that have a litter of puppies, they ARE a breeder. Not a good or reputable breeder, but a breeder none the less.

Shame they got rid of the puppies so young. Just because they get teeth and are ready for real food is not a reason to get rid of them.

I would recommend that you tell your friends to fix their dogs so that they don't have litters again.
    110%

Quote Originally Posted by bearbuddymarie View Post

cute puppies !
    what are their names ?
    Bailey and Bella

DSC00392.jpg @ 11 weeks old

Your Labs are Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    110%
    This was not a planned pregnancy. His dog must have mated with his moms male. I guess he didnt think about her getting pregnant at 7 y/o. He is now having her fixed.
    They were at a farm in poor conditions. I know that they were better off with us than leaving them there with him. They were flea infested at 4 weeks. He didnt know squat about raising pups. They are 12 weeks today and 22 lbs. They are doing GREAT!

bett is offline Senior Member

i'm glad they are thriving.
    i realize it wasnt a planned breeding but.....

the good news is, they're thriving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast