Puppies were born
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppies were born

kromulok is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppies were born

So on Jan 31st the pups were born. 7 males and 5 females. Waiting until around 4 weeks old then going to drive there and pick which male we want. I have first pick of the litter. Any tips?

Thought I would share the pictures:

Mom and pups:
    Jax Mom coco.jpg

Dad
    jax dad.jpg

We are pretty excited to bring our new boy home at the end of March.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Soooooooo exciting!!!! I love the rich chocolate color! I would say to let your heart guide you. Your puppy may pick you!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi there! Congratulations!!

I would see if they will let you wait until 6 weeks of age to choose. At 4 weeks, they are still too young to be able to tell much about their personalities at all. I had to choose Miles at 4 weeks. It all worked out, I couldn't be happier with my dog, but I swear the only reason I chose him was because I had a choice between him and 3 black males and he was the only one I could tell apart from the others. When I went to visit 2 weeks later, there were noticeable personality differences among the puppies.

If they won't let you wait until 6 weeks, try to put them off until 5 weeks.

Good luck with your puppy! How fun!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i wouldn't choose by color. me, i wouldn't want the most timid or the boldest. somewhere in the middle.

Well we picked our pup. It was still too early in my opinion to be picking them but I understand the breeders position as well. He has a lot of interest in this litter and while he wants to hold off as long as possible for me to get the first pick as promised, he also stated his bigger responsibility is finding good homes and owners for all 12 pups. He will not let any of the pups leave before 7 weeks of age. All of the other questions in conversation with him seem to check out well in accordance with what I have read here as far as how to tell good breeders from puppy mill types. He is not a mill at all. He raises and breedes hunting dogs and not very often. Apparently his previous litters have a reputation and this is why there is a lot of interest in his dogs.

So anyhow, it was hard to pick with them being so young but I think we picked well. The one we picked was pretty much right in the middle as far as temperment. He was the one not really whining or acting hyper but the one that was walking around sniffing the entire room and everything. Very explorative. He was also the only one that didnt fuss when picked up and the one that looked at my wife and licked her on the nose. It was done after that. At 4 weeks he was also the largest of the litter by a little bit. I wasn't wanting the largest because I don't want a horse lol but I am sure it will be just fine. He is adorable. here are some pics for everyone.

jax1.jpg

jax2.jpg

jax3.jpg

jax4.jpg

We get to bring him home March 17th

Boobie87 is offline Junior Member

the litter we got sofia from she was the only chocolate lab, so for us it wasn't that hard.... and she was also the most mellow one of them all! which is definitely a plus she is very intelligent and a very down to earth pup. very easy to potty train as well

kb7kuh is offline Member

Good looking pups!!!
    Don & Judy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the breeder should actually be the one picking which pup goes to which family. he knows the puppies personality as he spends 8 weeks (well I guess 7 in this case) with them and he should be asking YOU lots of questions about lifestyle and what you want to know which is the best fit. I would not be able to work with a breeder that forced me to pick at 4 weeks.

7 week isn't bad but it isn't late to let puppies go, in some states it is illegal to let puppies leave until they are 8 weeks of age.
    Last edited by Tanya; 02-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

A couple new pictures of our soon to be new addition to the family... and the name we are going with is Jax.

Jax_4weeks_2.jpg

Jax_4weeks_3.jpg

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

He is a cutie!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast