I sent it in!

Thread: I sent it in!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI sent it in!

Yep, I mailed in the entry for our first agility trial. It will be on October 31 and November 1.

It is a CPE trial. We entered Standard and Colors on Saturday and Standard and Jumpers on Sunday.

My dog will be fine. I just need to keep my head.

We are also going to try open obedience for the first time on october 25. My instructor says he's close if not ready, but there just aren't any matches around here so enter one day and then we'll know where we are. He can do all the excersizes in class, at home, at the various parks I take him to. (He is slow on the drop on recall-I don't know how to fix that) I just can't replicate the stress, tension and formality of the real thing.

Oh boy! I guess the dog show break is about to end....

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Have fun first. CPE is pretty laid back. Treat it like training. Enjoy yourself. Do you have someone there who has been to a CPE trial before that is going to this trial also, that can help show you the ropes? My first trial was stressful mostly because I did not know how to check in or how the trial ran. I always helped my students with that and was there for them at their first trial. Good luck! You'll both do great!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

How exciting!

I think it's October 18--Cleveland All-Breed has one of their run-thrus. Check their website.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

That's great!!!! Have fun and breathe!

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Cleveland All Breed is now having OB run thrus the 2nd & 4th Thursday of the month starting at 7pm. On the 1st & 3rd Thursdays specific topics will be addressed such as you mention about drops on recall. The focus will be on one exercise with discussion of what the IDEAL performance is and then how to achieve it. Practice follows and fellow attendees will help each other with the practice. Geared for both the experienced handler and those newer to OB.

There will also be an Agility run thru at CABTC on Oct 8th from 1:30pm to about 7pm. Its before the CABTC agility trials that weekend. Even though you are doing CPE the run thru might help with course set up and familiarization. If you can come towards the beginning its usually not as crowded and people will help you if you'd like. The courses will be AKC courses but it might help you with set up - etc and take a few of the nerves away. I've never done CPE but my agility friends who have really like it. Much more relaxed than AKC and I think you can qualify even with some mistakes. I'm not sure how that works but the handlers doing CPE really seem to have a good time and that's what's most important. I'm considering doing CPE with my youngest pup when he starts showing in agility to help both of us settle down.

The biggest mistake I made was waiting too long to start showing so good luck and have fun. Hope to see you and Miles at CABTC at one of the run thrus. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice!

I had planned to go to the obedience run through at CABTC on 10/18 but my hubbie and I will be in the Smoky Mountains for our annivesary. I had actually tried to get him to go the week earlier, but the condo we wanted wasn't available. I didn't want to tell him I why I wanted to go the week earlier . There is one this Sunday at the Chalet Debonne' Winery and we will be there, it is just that it is outside and it won't be the same.
    I my try to hit one of the Thursday night run throughs, though and possibly October 8.

I don't know if my instructor will be at our trial or not. He doesn't typically go to CPE but agrees it is a great place to start. I do have a good friend who does some teaching (not agility) who will be there that will be able to show me the ropes. I have also done apdt rally trials at this location and it is my favorite place to trial.

Thanks again!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Check your trial confirmation for the check in times - you need to get there in time for the measuring before the trial starts. Have fun! I love playing CPE

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Peanut and I have been playing CPE through the summer, fun stuff!! At my first trial in June I didn't know a thing and forgot my rulebook at home, so was stressed out the day of. But, the judges are really good about briefing and answering questions that you have. At our first trial Peanut mysteriously refused to do tunnels or the chute (a problem that she never had before and hasn't had since, very strange!) and the judge let us stay afterwards and just work the tunnels, it was very nice.

Can't train in the ring just like anywhere else, but it is definitely pretty laid back. It was a great place for us to start, as it was just fun, you know? Peanut has gained leaps and bounds of confidence through the summer thanks to CPE.

Have fun!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

debjen is offline Senior Member

Have fun..and good luck