Linda - question about Ruger's eyes...

Thread: Linda - question about Ruger's eyes...

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultLinda - question about Ruger's eyes...

The BoD of Agility Ass'n of Canada just passed new regulations stipulating that the stripes on weave poles must be painted, not taped - several people have now chimed in with stories about eye and face irritations from the tape.

I wonder if your weaves are taped - perhaps that contributed to his eye irritations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Linda - question about Ruger's eyes...

Taped. All the weaves I can even think of are taped, including mine. But I don't think that is the issue as we've been weaving for six years now?? Apparently he is predisposed to having problems with the epithelial cells and stroma in his eyes. Not sure of the medical why, but that's what was going on. The eyes were trying to heal, but the cells would not stick, and so the irritation became ulcers which got bigger until we did the surgery. Unfortunately my vet told me that he's a time bomb waiting to happen, so if he even so much as squints, I'm going to get his eyes stained so we can begin treatment immediately. He suffered for over 5 weeks. I feel so bad. He's now like a brand new dog, full of energy and sparkle again.

Thanks for thinking of us

If the tape was loose or not laying flat, that may have been enough to aggravate the underlying condition?

Just thinking out loud.. hopefully the staining will do the trick and keep his eyes healthy..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It is interesting to hear that others are having an issue with this. Thanks for the post.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    If the tape was loose or not laying flat, that may have been enough to aggravate the underlying condition?

Just thinking out loud.. hopefully the staining will do the trick and keep his eyes healthy..
    Gosh, but think about all the brush and weeds that our hunting dogs go thru constantly. I do think it's more than that or a bunch of us would have seen issues.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

slightly different.. brush and weeds give and break.. some dogs power through the un-giving pvc weaves with their heads bashing each pole.. couple that with irritating adhesive and injuries are possible..

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I dunno, I cringe at the cover my dogs will go thru to flush up quail, etc. :ugly:
    I can ask others who have done agility far longer than I.
    I should ask my ACVO since she runs vislas in agility too!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

The only other lab I know of that had bilateral corneal ulcers was an agility dog. The dog didn't get them till he was 9 and the ulcers were on the outside corners of the eyes. He is a yellow unaltered male. A hunting dog might suffer a unilateral scratch across the cornea but these seem to heal well, from what I have seen and asked about.

kelly