pooing problem

Thread: pooing problem

Defaultpooing problem

My lab is 3 and a half years old. He was trained when he was a 6 month old pup but one due to unforeseen circumstances, we were not able to continue with his training and it was abruptly interrupted/ Now, since it wasn't taught to him, he has this really bad habit of pooing in the middle of the road. Even though he is middle aged in terms of dog years, he is still a very good learner. What can I do to change his pooing in middle of the road thing. If I take him to an open field (were Dogs are permitted to poo), he never does anything! He HAS to poo only in the middle of the road! Please can somebody help me? I am really looking forward to your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: pooing problem

Don't let him go into the middle of the road. (Probably a good idea for many reasons other than your "pooing problem". ) Keep him leashed on grassy areas, he'll go eventually.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks for the reply sis. This happens when I take him out with me on our morning walk. But not taking him for a walk is not a practical solution though. I believe I can train him but I need to know how.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just walk a different route that doesn't involve going in the middle of the road.

When he goes (which eventually he will) give lots of praise.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

patm is offline Senior Member

Start giving a "go poop" command - use it when he goes poop in the road, then work it to another area. Since he likes the road, try to find an area that doesn't have taller grass (maybe he doesn't like it). Find an area where he doens't play or run. And seriously - don't walk on the road - he HAS to go sometime and when he does - lots of praise and treats for "going poop" in the appropriate place. If you see him hunkering down to poop on the road, lead him off quick to the side of the road, wait, and praise.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I guess I don't understand why that is a problem. Moose likes to poo in the grass, but Sky poos when the need arises which is often in the street. I just pick it up and on we go.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky