Hats Off To....

Thread: Hats Off To....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHats Off To....

Hats off to everyone who works to host an agility trial. Until you do it, you never really understand the huge amount of work that goes into it.

Our club is hosting a three day trial next weekend in my field. I've been grooming that field all summer, just got in a final mowing today, it looks pretty decent. I'm the vendor coordinator and the volunteer coordinator and chief ring steward for Ring #1. I'm also setting up the rings with a few of my students this weekend. We are using the black silt fence that you see along roadsides. Two rings, 110 x 110 each.

The mental work of coming up with the volunteer worker sheets is brain draining. Just juggling all the workers, making sure they work the classes they want, making sure they won't have a conflict with running their dogs or walking their courses, it's a tough job. I really have learned a LOT, and have a great deal of respect for all others before me who have done this.

I'm also running my two dogs, so I hope I'm not totally frazzled by the end of the trial. I'm also working a couple of the classes, gate steward and scribe. I've never been scribe before, so it will be a learning experience there too. But it will be worth it

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hats Off To....

Oh , don't worry - you'll be worn to a frazzle all right! I'm helping to steward our 3 day agility trial next weekend, but only one day for that (did a 3 day obedience a few weekends ago). I have a bad foot and can't do alot of running, but I'm sure I'll be put to use somewhere.I always feel so stupid at an agility trial because I don't know that much about them, but I love watching the dogs and their handlers run the courses.

I set up rings all the time and can tell you that for a 110 x 110 ring your diagonal measurement should be 155ft 7inches. This will give you "square" rings. I also like a 20ft aisle between the two rings as this makes it easy to course build and transfer equipment from ring to ring. Practice/warm-up jumps should be no more than about 50ft from the ring entrances and within sight of the gate steward to make your trial run smoothly and quickly. We typically spend 4 hours unloading equipment (with 2-3 people) and building jumps and rings and putting up ring netting and getting all the equipment together and dropping bars and putting equipment in the quadrants the day before the event and then with two course builders we can build the courses and put out the timers and walk/tweek with the judges and stake everything down the morning of the show. Hope this helps and have fun!!!

Kelly and Amber and Ready

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Yup, our club's trials are also next weekend. I'm treasurer and can tell you, there are alot of details that go into planning and executing a good trial! Best of luck! Rest up whilst you can! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

debjen is offline Senior Member

good luck..I'm on our agility committee and it is a lot of work.. I trialed this weekend and our trial is next weekend..worn to frazzle is about it