Tips and tricks

Thread: Tips and tricks

DefaultTips and tricks

What are some useful things that you do with your puppies whom you hope to do advanced levels of obedience with?

One trainer we are going to puts a lot of emphasis on marking etc with a young puppy, and so we are doing a lot of marking with Gin with margarine lids.

Another wants us doing no heeling, but lots of attention without food (egads!)

What are some of your tips and tricks to do with a puppy other than heeling and attention?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tips and tricks

Remember that "take it" game I showed you with Ruby that eventually can be used as a retrieve correction? I started that with Micah right away. So now he gladly "ups" and jumps for food.

Sorry, but with young puppies I always us a lot of food. It is all about having fun at this age and teaching them that working is fun.

I also started to teach Micah how to do the side passes right away, too
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

brody is offline Senior Member

I think confidence is important - so dogs walk on lots of surfaces see new things etc
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I like to intro JH and puppy agility work early to integrate our basic obed work--- it seems to make more sense to them, have a purpose if mixed into something they consider is "fun" and it helps them to let off steam too. I reward alot at heel and front, so if the pup is into offering behaviors, they will tend to be more successful later in obed. We do formal FF at ~9mos or dependent on maturity level to emphasize the importance of work ethic (and teaches them to handle stress a little better too). I also do a bit of tracking starting very young (12 wks or less for "lunch"), so there is one "game" where they get to be in the lead, in charge, to help foster a little independent thinking and make them understand that to work for me and with me, is rewarding. 8)

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks! Gin and I are doing some pidgeon work with a trainer/friend every saturday and right now, she's very birdy, hope that sticks around.

We also do lots of fun hide and seek in the yard and chase me, and she goes to three obedience classes, Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays...lots of socializing etc. She also will start her conformation classes next week.

She's a true busy body, a go-getter my one instructor says. Either she'll be the best obedience dog in the world or she won't work for beans...depending on the day.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Go Gin-Gin!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

GIRL!!! Where you do find the time????

I am training the boys on my own (scheduling and proximity conflicts with the classes and work). We are focusing mostly on heeling, fronts, come, heel right/left with Jed. With Jack, his only job is to stand for bait and not bite my hand....and keep that tail wagging. He does well on leash with little to no pulling and understands heel.

The training school near me closed so it's hard right now.

I've decided to jump right in to the obedience and wait on the conformation, its not hard to get them standing still, takes about a 20 minute session to get that in their head.

I work until 4:30, and then pile all the dogs in the car and off we go. About 2 hours three times a week isn't hard, and I train the other two everynight in the cul-de-sac at the end of my street so its not much to add 10 minutes there.

I'm lucky where I live, I can travel an hour and hit a bunch of top obedience schools, with top trainers and competitors who know what they are looking for. Right now, I am really enjoying our 'puppy manouvres' class with adele yunck most!