To go to the Fun Match or No? (injured pad)

Thread: To go to the Fun Match or No? (injured pad)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultTo go to the Fun Match or No? (injured pad)

Rocky has injured (i.e. pulled at) his paw pad and lifted it. I've been to the vet and all is well, just need to let it heal and monitor carefully. Exercise is to be continued as normal if he's comfortable...

The thing is the paw is now sensitive as it's exposed. So there is abit of limping. Walking is fine for the most part, he wants to get out there and move around as well. We did abit of Rally outside and he's very game...

But should I still skip the fun match if this continues tomorrow? Though he'll probably be ok I'm tempted to just skip it and keep him off his foot as much as possible until it's less tender.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To go to the Fun Match or No? (injured pad)

IMHO, I would skip- escpecially if he's still favoring it. Blue punctured her pad a couple weeks ago, and, even though it was mostly sealed, we still kept her out of her OB class last week. We just couldn't risk her jumping or retrieving (rubbing it on the matts), and then having it open back up. She was okay to go back this week though- and boy, was she excited to be there and be back to work, lol!

Hope it heals nicely for you and Rocky feels better!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

My dog, Ruger, tore a nickle sized chunk off his toe pad several days before an agility trial. We went to the trial and liberally applied EMT gel to his toe and ran him. He did not Q on Saturday, mainly because I was so worried about his toe and that he might limp that I watched him as I ran and I got lost on the course. Sunday, I continued to apply the EMT get (using it right before I went in the ring) and we did Q.

I guess it's your call But the EMT gel really helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys,

I have opted to not go. Our first fun match was abit of a disaster (he was completely off) and he's been really low key today (completely unlike him). I don't want to do another fun match unless it's under good circumstances, as to avoid him making negative associations with the ring.

We have a busy few months coming up with our first actual competition (Rally) and various flyball tournaments so I'd rather just completely lay off for the next two weeks in hope if encouraging his recovery. I know in the end such a small decision (not going to the fun match) might make absolutely no difference but it feels right.

Oh - I will look into the EMT gel! Someone was telling me about that yesterday (though not hte vet...hmm...)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Thanks guys,

I have opted to not go. Our first fun match was abit of a disaster (he was completely off) and he's been really low key today (completely unlike him). I don't want to do another fun match unless it's under good circumstances, as to avoid him making negative associations with the ring.

We have a busy few months coming up with our first actual competition (Rally) and various flyball tournaments so I'd rather just completely lay off for the next two weeks in hope if encouraging his recovery. I know in the end such a small decision (not going to the fun match) might make absolutely no difference but it feels right.

Oh - I will look into the EMT gel! Someone was telling me about that yesterday (though not hte vet...hmm...)
    good call in my honest op!

I totally agree with you wanting to have great fun experiences in the ring with your handsome boy

have fun resting
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller