Keeping up with "Bro"

Thread: Keeping up with "Bro"

DefaultKeeping up with "Bro"

About a month ago I decided I should try Jazz in rally. Someone who lives a mile from me has occasional rally/obedience run thrus at her place and had two rally run-thrus so I took Jazz with for the heck of it. Jazz is Caleb's litter sister. We have never taken an obedience class or a rally class with her but of course I know all the signs since her mom is an RAE working on an RAE 2 at age 10 1/2. Jazz did great at the run-thrus even though there were signs for all 3 levels in the ring so I entered her in a trial today to see what would happen. No practice but she knows basic obedience from field work and is one of those dogs who naturally stays by my side and watches me like a hawk so since novice is all on lead and I was going to these shows to show a Lab in breed I thought why not try it.

When I got the map I saw the moving down which I forgot she needed to know for novice. We went out in the parking lot and did it a few times -- she has a good fold back down on the table and she caught on right away to downing on the ground. We got in the ring and she was SURE she was at an agility trial. She sat by my side at the start cone and was in crouch like she was ready to explode. I saw her looking over the entire ring trying to find the jumps, etc. and said to her "this is not an agility ring". The judge laughed and said "I don't think she is convinced" and then we started the course. She leaped up with the first couple of steps and I thought I might be in trouble but when I asked her to watch me she did stay with me and kept eye contact. She did everything although lots of bouncing on the heeling. The moving down went smooth as could be. When we left the ring one of the other exhibitors asked me if she was part kangaroo -- that's how bouncy she was. We ended up with a 98 and 3rd place. Our time was actually faster than the two 100s ahead of us. So we're entered again one day next weekend and I'm sending off one more entry for Oct. (fingers crossed she waits to come into season as she's due mid-Oct.). Now off leash will likely be a different story with cones scattering, jump bars flying, dog forging, etc. so advanced might be awhile but maybe I'll even consider putting a CD on her now. After all -- she has that brother Caleb to keep up with.

Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Keeping up with "Bro"

congrats..that is very good

patm is offline Senior Member

I got down to your sig pic and said to myself "oh THAT Caleb!!" What a fantastic debut! You must help me figure out how to teach my dogs attention like that - I just don't know how to do it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb says "Way to go Sis!!" Well, Jazz, just so you know Caleb has rather hit a wall lately with his obedience. We'll work through it but it'll buy you some time!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats to you and Jazz!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I got down to your sig pic and said to myself "oh THAT Caleb!!" What a fantastic debut! You must help me figure out how to teach my dogs attention like that - I just don't know how to do it.
    Pat -- I am actually very lazy about obedience (and I used to be one who wanted the high scores but I fell by the wayside on that one when agility and hunt tests entered the picture for my dogs). I NEVER taught her that attention, she just has it naturally so the only credit I can take on it as having bred her litter. In fact it has sometimes been a problem in agility as she really wants to watch where I am. She is not nervous, shy, afraid, etc. just always has been very focused on me. I wish some of my other dogs had that focus. I am really considering breeding her on her next season and hope I can get something similar to her out of the litter as I do enjoy working with her and she loves to work.
    Deb H.

Quote Originally Posted by labnpug
    I am really considering breeding her on her next season and hope I can get something similar to her out of the litter as I do enjoy working with her and she loves to work.
    Deb H.
    Who would you breed her to? Make me wish I would have waited a little longer. I know when I contacted you before I got Micah you were not sure when you would breed again, especially Jazz. Love my boys though. I really like Caleb's work ethic and focus on me. Oh well.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Hurry up Jazz! Caleb has a head start! But don't let that hold you back!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom

Who would you breed her to? Make me wish I would have waited a little longer. I know when I contacted you before I got Micah you were not sure when you would breed again, especially Jazz. Love my boys though. I really like Caleb's work ethic and focus on me. Oh well.
    UKC CH AKC CH UAGI UAGII UAGIII UCDX Topform I’m Stepping Out CDX ASCA CDX RE (Strider) is in the running (yellow). He's entered in agility starting at the national, too. Maureen also has Cori's brother, Kevin, who has done well in everything he's competed in, agility, obedience, rally, UKC CH and AKC pointed. She's ready for another pup to train for performance events if this were to work out.
    Deb

I think I know who Strider is. Will check and get back with you.
    Susan

www.labmed.org