Sonya's obedience debut

Thread: Sonya's obedience debut

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultSonya's obedience debut

I have one (actually 2) brags from Sunday's obed at the Wenatchee (WA) Kennel Club trials! I only could enter the one day due to my work load these days (apple testing.. 7 days a week!) and since it was Sonya's debut in Nov B obed, I felt one day was enough.

Anyhow, despite there being many distractions including birds IN THE RING and geese flying overhead on the long downs, Sonya did a great job. At (not quite) 23 mos, she managed to pull off the Blue ribbon and a "Golden Apple" trophy for her in debut! The birds cost us a couple points initially on the heeling exercise (went wide, definitely honed in on them!), but they finally got the hint and flew off. After that, I was very pleased w/ her performance. I was extra proud of the fact that she didn't budge on the Stand for Exam --the judge was in a wheelchair, which I fortunately knew in advance so "hired" (for an apple payoff!) the receptionist at my prosthetics office to play judge in a wheelchair a couple weeks ago. It took ~3 attempts that day to get it right, despite Sonya never having a problem w/ the standard walk up procedure. I thought the judge had an electric scooter type chair, but it was a big manual one afterall. Sonya had a very pretty IWS next to her in the ring that also had just finished her JH recently, and we about cracked up when we both turned to look at one another (as if "what next"?) as the geese were flying low overhead!

Later that afternoon, after Sonya was good and sleepy(!), she went into Rally Advanced and earned a 95 score, good for 3rd place there and her 2nd Q toward her RA. Fingers crossed for a title at Richland in 2 wks! That's another riverfront park, so lots of distractions once again!

Anne & WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement JH RN "Sonya"
    Attached Images Attached Images

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sonya's obedience debut

Wonderful! Congrats!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Congratulations!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congratulations!!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

What a great debut.

Was this an AKC trial? I thought judges must be in good enough physical condition to stand. We have a local judge who has very bad legs and she's been in a wheel chair a few times and had to cancel judging assignments because of it. And she's hobbled around at other assignments.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats on a good show.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    What a great debut.

Was this an AKC trial? I thought judges must be in good enough physical condition to stand. We have a local judge who has very bad legs and she's been in a wheel chair a few times and had to cancel judging assignments because of it. And she's hobbled around at other assignments.
    Yes, it was an AKC trial. Actually I've seen a couple judges (conformation included) in chairs in recent years and the dogs generally handle it well. I think AKC tries pretty hard to accomodate both the disabled exhibitor and judge... as they should! Have seen wheelchair handlers in Rally and agility (and obed) a few times the past couple years.

When I was trying to decided what day to enter (good thing I picked Sunday as I had fruit samples coming IN til 10 pm Friday night and 6pm Sat for testing!), a local obed judge/training friend suggested that my dogs would really like Marsha. They did. Too bad Sony's mom Fuji blinked on the recall again as she had a nice score going in Open (her heeling and retrieving was great!). :'( I put her in B so we'd have the same judge and no chance of conflict, which was another good choice as Open A would have been at the SAME time as Nov B. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Anne, that's wonderful! Congratulations!!!
    Woo-hoo! WTG Sonya!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Congrats Anne and Sonya!!!