connie cleveland seminar

Thread: connie cleveland seminar

Defaultconnie cleveland seminar

we did it this weekend - it was wonderful and she was wonderful.

will have to post a bit more once i get more caught up on work

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: connie cleveland seminar

When you have time, tell us all about it!

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm jealous - tell us all about it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I loved it- it was so logical! We did get flooded in to the building on Sunday but that was just a bit of excitement.

We talked a lot about effort errors versus lack of effort errors - and she really said how little she saw lack of effort errors (refusal to try, laziness, etc) and more often it was effort errors (confusion, lack of understanding, distraction). When it is an effort error, it is our responsibility to clarify for the dog- very cool to hear that around these parts

We also talked a lot about teaching corrections and that dogs must know the point of the correction- basically, the dog must know how to stop the correction and how to avoid the correction- she used the invisible fence example (you don't just turn out a dog in an Invisible Fence situation- you teach him what the shock means and how to avoid it by running back into the yard). It's interesting to me b/c I see a lot of people grab dogs and start popping or ear pinching and just doing it harder when the dog doesn't respond.

We talked about balances of types of dogs- there are a lot of dogs on the left that are harder to motivate, kind of slower, etc. Then there are faster, high performance dogs on the right- inaccurate, but flashy. She said she rarely sees middle dogs- the dog that makes the handler look good naturally- until she got to Gabs!! She said she was that wonderful middle dog and a perfect Novice A dog, which was so nice to hear because the trainer that I was working with really was kind of negative on anything but high drive, field dogs- but Connie really liked her! She said she was inconsistent, nothing is quite a habit yet, but she's very cute heeler, and she's highly motivated and happy to work!

It was a great seminar-learned a ton- and a bunch of us are going to hopefully drive out to South Carolina this spring for a week to work with her.