Observations and commentary from agility practice this week.

Thread: Observations and commentary from agility practice this week.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultObservations and commentary from agility practice this week.

For those that have watched Sophie's video, you can see that she hops her front legs side to side, bouncing in and out of the weave poles.

So we've been working with her on my left, and she's doing super - but sometimes the weaves will be on my right, so we need to work on 'off-side' weaves. I tried that on Monday, and she did do her bouncy hop left to right, BUT she was about 6-10 inches to one side of the weaves.

She does that in a trial, I think I'll have to revive the judge when she collapses laughing.. but it would make a REALLY neat freestyle move.

Second observation - there have been claims that dogs never or very rarely learn from mimicking something they've seen performed. Tristan has some agility training before his elbow diagnosis, but we never got as far as weave pole training. So he was in the yard pottering around while I was working Soph on her weaves. I don't use food with weave training, which is all tris has ever been rewarded with.When we stop for a minute, he walks over and stops between two poles, staring at me. Then he walks forward out of the poles, turns, and walks back through the second set of poles.

When I picked my jaw up off the ground, we went in to give him his food reward

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Observations and commentary from agility practice this week.

That must be cute to see Sophie doing the weaves that way!

I disagree about dogs not being able to learn by mimicking something they've seen. A LOT of times I use an advanced dog to do a tunnel or contact as a beginner dog watches. Even when the beginner dog may have some trepidation about attempting the obstacle, once that dog see's the other dog do it a few times, we are over the hump and the beginner dog is doing it joyfully.

Yeah, definitely disagree with the learning by mimicking thing. We used Gabby to teach my girlfriend's PWD about the A-frame today. Went much easier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Linda - I agree with you about pups watching another dog do stuff. My 15 month old puppy has been watching my 8 year old dog do agility recently and he can't wait to do stuff when its his turn - tunnels, closed chute, tire etc - he's there. Still learning the weaves - watching that doesn't seem to have helped much but he's still young and I'm not really in a rush - for now I want him to have fun and try stuff. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon