No Q, but fairly pleased ......

Thread: No Q, but fairly pleased ......

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultNo Q, but fairly pleased ......

Just got home about 7:15 - it was a LONG day! I went early today (got there at 9:30) so that I could watch Open B, because I really haven't watched that much Open. We didn't show until around 3pm and Emilu was ready to go home. We didn't Q, but I was pleased enough with her performance. She got 10 points off the heeling stuff for dreadful lagging. I really have to work on that somehow - she HAS to get better to keep showing. 1/2 points off each for DOR and ROF - not bad at all. She was a little slow on her drop, but 1/2 point isn't bad. Then - ROJ was what NQ'd us . She jumped over and got the dumbell, but ran around the jump to bring it back. You could hear the crowd go "ahhhhhhh".. Then on the broad jump, she ticked it with her back feet, and then when she came to front, she just stood there looking at me - didn't sit. The judge was kind to all dogs and gave them alot of time to do stuff, but no go - she finished nicely though. Spot on with her sits and downs. None of the dogs Q'd (out of 6). They all NQ'd before the sits and downs, and 2 also NQ'd on those too. The last dog was a very homely chihuahua - who did beautifully until the broad jump, where she daintily jumped over each board separately. I am charged up now to do some more showing, but I really need to get some more work with her in a ring setting. Most of the time in our class, we aren't doing any open stuff, except heeling of course -which we need, but I'd love to be able to work her in a ring with her jumps and stuff. I didn't work with her that much today, just a little bit here and there and spent some time just sitting on the floor with her by her crate and doing some tummy rubs etc. One bad thing - - I knew there was a Boston Terrier in her class, and she's never seen one, so we looked that dog up so she could see it. Of course the dog looks at her and Growls and huffs at her. Not good for Emilu! Then, while waiting our turn to go in the ring, I didn't realize the Boston was close to us -not until I hear Emilu grrr and give a little charge towards it! Oy Vey!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: No Q, but fairly pleased ......

Not a bad debut at all. It will come together for you and Emilu.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

not bad..glad you had a good experience

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful debut, honestly, I think you guys did exceptionally well. Ruger's heeling scores totally sucked when I showed in open as well and he would simply refuse to do the figure 8. It was awful.

Get used to the "nobody Q'd" scenario. That's why Open is called the heartbreak class! Most people will end up getting all first places when they title in this one. Ruger and I did, it was amazing. I had a score of 172 and took 1st out of 14 dogs. Couldn't believe it, but took it nonetheless. Hey a Q is a Q

Hang in there, Emilu will get better.

You might invest in some ring gating and practice jumps. Check out J & J Dog supply. I got their practice ring jumps and one section of gating (40'). I used that stuff a LOT!!!

patm is offline Senior Member

I have a wonderful set of jumps that I made in another class from PVC pipe and vinyl siding. I think some ring gating would be good. We have limited space to work on at the house, despite 70 acres of land due to it being so hilly. And she is getting more and more picky about certain sections of the yard. She will go way around areas, and sniff it others like they're certainly contaminated with something awful. I'd think more about it if she didn't play and tumble in the same areas without any trouble - DOGS!!!

Sounds like a good start in Open! Belle did the same thing in the ROHJ several times. Once I could see what she was going to do I NQ'd us first and gave a second command each time she looked like she was going around. The more I compete, the more I see people doing that kind of thing, NQ'ing themselves to make sure the dog does it right in the ring.

J and J had their ring gating on sale last week, they may still (enter the word "Labor" in the special discounts box). Belle had awful heeling in all classes. Once we started taking her practicing "on the road" she went from qualifying about 1/2 the time to qualifying with placements each time. It makes a difference!

I am at that point with Kodi in Utility. It's a pain in the arse to haul all the ring gating (I only do one end of ring gating, need to buy more) and the jumps, bit I am hoping it will pay off when we compete again in October.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Not bad for your first time out!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org