A fair weekend

Thread: A fair weekend

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultA fair weekend

We had a two day show near Detroit this weekend. Kodi was entered in Utility and Open B, hoping to get two more legs toward her UDX title. However, she only passed 3 of the 4 classes and got her 8th UDX leg. Kodi's problem? Too much enthusiasm and anticipation. We lost a lot of points today in Utility (qualified though) on the directed jumping because when returning to me she bounced wildly off me and went to an automatic finish. She was having WAY too much fun! Today on the signals, the judge gave me a completely different heeling pattern (went left instead of right). It was pretty obvious that I was confused and kept trying to turn in what HAD been the correct direction, and kept bumping Kodi. Also seems like I gave the commands for a moving stand rather than a signal stand (ordinarily an NQ). Completely muffed it up. However, in one of those "gifts" from the obedience judge gods, the judge, apparently feeling sorry that she gave the wrong heeling pattern gave me no points off for the exercise!! The score was not pretty (188.5), but it qualified when it should not have!

Kodi Nq'd on Saturday in Utility because she anticipated the go out in the directed retrieve. She caught herself before she got 2 feet from me and stopped to stare at me, but it was enough to NQ us!

I do have to compliment both judges, as they were more than fair in their judging, and seemed to have a good sense of humor. (One having a pretty bad rep from years past must have been on happy pills. I have shown under her twice, and both times she has been a very pleasant person to show under)

On a more positive note though, Susan (Caleb's mom) and I had some good conversations and dinner on Saturday. I'll let her describe Caleb's performance, but should she ever want to "retire" Caleb, and get rid of him, I'LL TAKE HIM!!! He is such a cutie pie! (But I think he knows that!)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats on a fair weekend..sounds pretty good to me

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on the 8th UDX leg!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    On a more positive note though, Susan (Caleb's mom) and I had some good conversations and dinner on Saturday. I'll let her describe Caleb's performance, but should she ever want to "retire" Caleb, and get rid of him, I'LL TAKE HIM!!! He is such a cutie pie! (But I think he knows that!)

Even if he retires he won't be going anywhere!

Out of four runs we q'd once in Utility. Not pretty but go-outs today were nice. The open sits continue to plague us. We'll see what happens after the Nationals. If he does not retire then he'll at least get a nice long vacation.

The best part of the weekend was having dinner with Karen and getting to know her more. It was also fun getting to see some of the other obedience people I have not seen for a while and get to meet some others for the first time.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, congrats on the new UDX leg!

Glad you and Susan had a good time, it's always fun getting together with our forum folks!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you had a good weekend overall. Congrats on you 8th UDX leg!

We are getting ready for Open A, so not yet near Utility, but one thing you said caught my attention.

"Also seems like I gave the commands for a moving stand rather than a signal stand (ordinarily an NQ)."

So, there are specific commands required for different excersizes? I know in AKC obedienc, you must limit your commands and body language (my instructor threatens to velcro my hands to my body ), but I guess I didn't realize there were specific commands we are required to use for different things. Am I understanding that correctly? It caught my attention because I already train the moving stand and I could be training an NQ for all I know if there is a specific command for it that is required.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    Sounds like you had a good weekend overall. Congrats on you 8th UDX leg!

So, there are specific commands required for different excersizes? I know in AKC obedienc, you must limit your commands and body language (my instructor threatens to velcro my hands to my body ), but I guess I didn't realize there were specific commands we are required to use for different things. Am I understanding that correctly? It caught my attention because I already train the moving stand and I could be training an NQ for all I know if there is a specific command for it that is required.
    In the moving stand you can give BOTH a verbal and a signal to stand (as you move away). In the signal exercise, you can only give a signal to stand as BOTH of you come to a stand. I apparently (because I was unaware of what I was doing, and remember being temporarily confused about which exercise I was doing) gave both a signal and a verbal "Stay!". I do remember starting to move forward (as in a moving stand), caught myself and paused. The judge quickly said "Leave your Dog" and saved my ass. Very uncharacteristic of her, but maybe she was taking her happy pills and gave us 0 points off because she muffed up givining me the commands.

Karen and the gang

Quote Originally Posted by ObedienceLabs4Me View Post

... but go-outs today were nice.
    His go outs Sunday were perfect! And, even on Saturday when he turned around to look at you midway but still kept going, was impressive. He question himself and still kept going. Resolving a confidence issue on the fly!

Karen and the gang

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Okay, thanks! I get it now!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1