Watch My Boys Practice Agility!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch My Boys Practice Agility!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWatch My Boys Practice Agility!

A couple short clips of our morning practice.

First, Remington and Ruger doing a short jump sequence, Rems is coming along okay, he was tired in this clip. Ruger is still doing well for an old guy with not so good hips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-8Zp7BjPXU

And this is a very short weave clip. Working so hard with Ruger... it's starting to pay off. Remington has a long way to go on weaves, but he tries!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxWzKXKwb0

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Very nice!

We started taking agility classes in January and it is alot of fun! We just registered for CPE and may try our first trial end of October. Level 1 has no weaves or teeter.

How are you training weaves? My instructor uses channel but some have recommended the 2x2 method. I know one thing, buying 2X2's is cheaper than buying channels! I ordered Susan Garrett's dvd on 2X2 training. Are you familiar with that? If so, what do you think?

Do you compete in AKC agility? Is it possible to get an official measurement before entering a trial? I am just afraid Miles will measure a smidgen above 22and be required to move up to 24" jumps and I think 24 is a bit high for dog of his build. He's doing great with 20, but he's such a big hunky dog, I think 24 might be asking a bit much. Then again, maybe I am being a coddling mom

Remington and Ruger look great!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

I would love to have the 2x2 method, but I don't have the extra $$$ to get it. I think it's a fantastic idea and really teaches the dogs to drive.

I just use the old in and out method. It works, but you have to practice a lot!!

I do CPE and love it. There is only one show in our area, in November. Remington got his Level 1 Standard title last year. Ruger is in Level 2 and need a couple legs to finish out a bunch of the titles. You will like CPE, the games are fun!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Very nice .. I'm impressed that you can do the whole weaves moving backwards without falling over...LOL...

I love the 2 x 2 method...When Cedar (who was trained originally on the channels) got into to competition I realized he really didn't understand weaves..he was getting entries and most exits but was running by the middle poles..which is what channels teach you ... I went back and retaught him using the 2 x 2 and his weaves are sooooo much better..even Robbie who knew how to weave but didn't like them and would blow by them in comeptition is doing better after working on the 2 x 2 and making it more fun for him..

Thanks for the advice on weave training.

I ordered the 2X2 dvd. I will watch that before I order any poles from anywhere. I definitely cannot afford to buy more than 6 poles right now. I did price the 'set' on her website and it's almost $700 before shipping and that is completely out of the question for me. I think I can get some 2X2 pairs from other sites for much less $$$.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

I bought two sets of 2X2 weaves for $70 locally. I found that with all my other weave poles, this is all I needed. My girls have been working on this all summer. Maddie is completing her weaves in 2.8 seconds and Panda in 3.3 seconds for 12's. Maddie previously was completing weaves in over 4 seconds and Panda in over 5 seconds-sometimes more. I have tried all different ways to teach weave poles-channel, guides, etc. I love this way. It makes the most sense for the dog and the trainer. I started off using two weaves from each of my two sets of six weave pole bases. It worked just fine. I just pulled off the extra poles. My girls train for five minutes a day for weaves. They love it. It has built motivation to keep training short and leave them wanting more. The one thing that is a side effect of this training is that your dog will begin to take all obststacles with independance and you can get off courses. That to me is a small price to pay and can be controlled with training. I have learned not to baby my dogs. They have to figure it out for themselves. They get a food reward for a correct choice and encouragement for a wrong choice. All the training is kept positive and FUN!!! They do not need me anywhere near the weaves. They don't need my body for a cue. I do support the weave entrance with my shoulders, no matter how far away I am. I now am in the mode to practice doing different things with my body when the dogs are in the poles. I run in and out from the poles, I act like I have a treat to throw, I pretend to trip, I run past the dog in the poles as fast as I can, I let the dog go far ahead of me and take my time to catch up. We are preparing for nationals in October and I have a trial in September so I can see how they do in a trial setting with the weaves and to see the training pay off.

You probably could teach 2x2 without getting her weaves. What if you made some of the stick in the ground weaves and worked through those? (I might try it myself).

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Cool videos Linda!

We used the old "in-out" method too With Charlotte we're going to do 2 x 2, which I did with Jake to help him get his entries more solid - it really helped!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Milesmom, run him in Preferred, if you don't want him jumping 24". I run Ruger and Remington in Preferred.

No, you can't get measured early (before the show).

And, it depends on who measures! Ruger has his permenant height card and was measured at 22.75". Remington has his permanent height card and was measured at 23". If you stand these dogs side to side, Ruger is definitely taller than Remington, so I just don't get it.

Anyway, I run them in Preferred so they jump 20" in AKC.
    In USDAA I run in Performance, so they jump 22" (they would have to jump 26" in USDAA).

In CPE I can run them at 16" (their equivalent of Preferred) but I found that Ruger drops a lot of bars at 16". At 20 or higher he rarely drops a bar in competition (at home he drops tons of bars but he gets very lazy at home, LOL)

Yeah, I was looking at the rules today and I was thinking I would do preferred in AKC and, if I do USDAA, I would do performance.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what you would say about that because it looks like Ruger and Remington are built alot like Miles.

Ann & Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast