Summer update!

Thread: Summer update!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

DefaultSummer update!

We've been training A LOT this summer, doing a few different things with my Gin (who is now 13 months old) including a field/tracking/obedience and agility 'performance score' with a local trainer.

Apart from my being exhausted and Gin being drained, things are going quite well!

We had a show refresher for next week's shows tonight and sure enough, little Gin found her 'Stand' very boring. I can tell she's lost a lot of her wiggly giggly edge and sobered up a little, which is nice in some ways, and sad in others.

Overall, Gin's very favoritest night is Tuesday nights, which is tracking night. We've been meeting at 8pm, and we're usually the 3rd team to run, so our track is usually over an hour old, and its VERY dark in the middle of the boonies. She's doing a great job! A close second is the heeling drills. She, like her mom loves to heel!

I'd say her least fave is the field stuff. She does it, but not with the typical Ginny zest.

Agility is proving hard for me, I'm simply not quick enough for her liking, and she spends an awful lot of time waiting for me to remember her commands. But I can see this being fun for her so we'll keep at it.

All in all, I'm tired. And I'm second guessing the whole '13 weeks of psycho training with a puppy'...but we've learned a lot, about each other and our strengths and weaknesses. (My weaknesses, Gin doesn't have any!)

The others, Rhys and Ruby have had a rough couple of weeks. Rhys was scheduled to have surgery this morning to remove once again the primary tumor in his shoulder, but we got all the way there just to find his red cells were low and white cells high, so we'll have to stick him on antibiotics and wait it out.

Ruby ran into a fence at the dog park and ripped apart her inner ear, and needed a 2 hour long surgery to fix that, we're day 3 post op and she looks like a million bucks except for the swelling and oozing...But she's much better than she was.

So hows your summer going?
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 08-24-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Wow! Sounds like a busy summer indeed! I know the feeling of training to exhaustion, but when you see results, it certainly is worth it!! I'd love to get into tracking, and while I do blood tracking with Belle (or did, she'll be 11 this year) and Kodi I might try it with Hoss.

Our summer has been primarily spent in quest of Kodi's UDX (we are at leg 7 of 10 needed), teaching Rally (AKC and UKC), and taking dogs in for training and boarding to compensate my job going down to 50% time (despite 28 years of working 7 days a week).

Sorry to hear of all the medical problems. How did the running into the fence happen? It must have been an especially hard hit to mess up the inner year.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Aww, kisses for Ruby and Rhys! Aw heck, Ginny too, why not.

This summer has been completely insane. With Peanut in CPE trials one weekend per month and Baloo dock diving one weekend per month, that leaves two weekends. These are now to be spent with Peanut doing the superdog thing as well as hitting the fair scene with another demo group, if we're not training. Craziness!

I really want to take Baloo to Tillsonburg to try and finish off his CD, but I'm in over my head with all this stuff. I entered Peanut in a "teacup dog" agility trial in september, and wouldn't have done that if I'd have known she'd make the superdog team... wouldn't have put her in the september CPE trial either... but alas...

So, super busy, but fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    How did the running into the fence happen? It must have been an especially hard hit to mess up the inner year.
    Actually it didn't look like too much, she was turning after retrieving a bumper and ran into a chain link fence... her ear started to bleed a bit, I assumed it was just a small rip in her ear flap, but when I got home and cleaned it up, I could see it was a mess! She seems to be doing great, the packing comes out tomorrow. I can tell she is hearing ok, that was my main concern.

Kate, I have a breeder friend who one of her Viszlas is a Superdog! I enjoy getting all the pictures and videos of her! Make sure to take lots o'pictures!
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Poor Ruby! Man! Keep us posted on Rhys! Been busy training and showing. Lots of traveling, too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

WOW! You have had a busy summer! I hope Rhys and Ruby recover quickly.

Since we finished our CD and C-WAGS level 2 in the spring, we have been doing rally in the summer while we work on Open and Level 3 for C-Wags. I was really busy all summer working on my capstone project for school so dog training got neglected a bit.

We started agility in January and just joined CPE so we may enter our first trial at the end of October.

We tried dock jumping over the summer and may try to get some lessons this fall if the schedule doesn't collide with agility or obedience .

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Wow! Everyone has been busy! Sorry to hear about the setbacks for Rhys' surgery and poor Ruby's ear - ouch!

Jake started agility again this summer - he still loves it, and I still need a LONG leadout to keep up with him. Rear crosses are a frequent addition to our courses. We had our last class of the session yesterday, and a woman who has been doing agility with her goldens for years said, "You know he's going to be really good right?" I responded with a laugh and, "Yeah well he certainly enjoys it at least!" and she insisted that she really saw talent and a lot of drive in him It's always nice to get positive feedback, I like our instructor, but she's pretty light on the praise. We're hopefully going to get his RA this fall - he can do everything for RA, RE and his CD - it's just getting the funds for shows and the time off from school.

Charlotte has kept me plenty busy with training too! She's smart as a whip, but I'm afraid she's going to be the type to use her powers for evil rather than good She just finished a puppy class that I wasn't very happy with (switched back and forth between positive reinforcement only, to punishment, to clicker only - within a 6 week class) so we're going to do another at the club where Jake takes agility lessons. So far she has sit, down, stand, roll, wave bye, and an itty bitty heel in a straight line. We're working on stay now as well, which her lazy sit really seems to enjoy!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Charlotte has kept me plenty busy with training too! She's smart as a whip, but I'm afraid she's going to be the type to use her powers for evil rather than good
    That made me laugh, but I know exactly what you are talking about!
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

debjen is offline Senior Member

Wow everyone is busy..I've been doing a lot of agility..either taking or teaching classes 4 days a week..just got back from agility camp..5 1/2 day sessions each with a different instructor/topic...(will post some pointers after I've had a chance to digest them)..it was a great time but very tiring.