Kona

Thread: Kona

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultKona

For those who knew we were headed to the vets this am our results were not good. His right elbow has extensive degenerative changes with a medial fragment. He will need to go on supplements and NSAIDS. The vet is sending the x rays out for a radiological consult.

At this point Kona's competetive career is done. If he is able I will enter him in veteran's obedience when it's offered at a show that I go to with Bo. I may still go ahead with tracking with him. He also can start back visiting the nursing home for therapy visits. After looking at the x rays I am scared to do any jumping or running with him.

My goals right now for him is to walk with significantly less pain and to be able to do do short fun retrieves. I will have him retrieve in our pool again before we close it this year.

This does shift my emphasis on training over to the youngster, Bo, both in obedience and field. Just not the way I wanted to retire Kona ..... just need to wrap my brain around this new direction and look for the positives that can happen for both dogs.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear that Linda. Let's hope for a happy retirement for Kona.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

It is so hard transitioning from one dog to the next. Bo will come around and be a wonderful boy for you. I do love Kona though. He's so special! Take care of that sweet boy of yours! I know you will.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

This is heartbreaking for me to read, I can't imagine how you feel.

Good heeling (pun intended) thoughts for Kona, and you of course.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Kona. I'm confident you can get him feeling better and manage things and keep him comfortable in his retirement years.

It's very hard when you've worked so hard toward a goal, and then you realize it's not going to happen.

But chin up, and look forward to all the new challenges and possibilities that await you