Putting our bunny chasing tactics to use....

Thread: Putting our bunny chasing tactics to use....

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultPutting our bunny chasing tactics to use....

Since Zoey is officially on vacation from dock diving until Nationals and there is at least a month away until her next hunt test, we are taking her this weekend to a local rescue group's event where you can try different kinds of dog events with your dogs, just for the fun of it.

This summer, the local bunny population has decided to move into our farm. This means that every night before I leave for work, as I take the girls out, Peter Cottontail is waiting for his nightly run with Zoey. The back door comes open, the lights go on and off to the races we go. Luckily, Zoey will come to a screeching halt at the property line and Mr. Cottontail knows it. I will say that she has gotten pretty close to catching him too!

So this weekend we are going to try lure coursing. I know that this is a sight hound sport, but has anyone every tried it with their labs? I think that it would be a blast for her, lord knows she loves to chase things, and she is fast. I will attempt to take pictures, and keep ya'll posted. Wish us luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

what a riot! I can't wait to read the report of it
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

How did it go?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have had Belle do some lure coursing just for fun adn she had a real blast. I know Kodi would too!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

RECAP: She caught the lure! Less then half way around Zoey caught the lure, then let it go, continued to chase it for a few feet and quit. As she ran across the field coming back to us, she looked at me like "how many times do I have to catch this thing". BTW we called it the "bunny" when we were getting her excited to chase it. Needless to say once caught and it was NOT a bunny she seemed disappointed! lol The guy running the machine with the lure on it said he didnt expect a lab to keep up with it like that other wise he would have made it faster. Anyway, was a great time!!!

Plus while there we won the kissing contest again! The things we will do for free stuff! lol

Sounds like fun. So you dock dive with Zoey? We've been trying it. Miles is a bit tentative off a tall dock but he is a nut for water retrieving. I think with more practice he'd love dock diving. He just needs to build confidence. I am thinking about joining a dock diving club. My problem is, I have ponds for practice but none with dock!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

Yep, Zoey is a dock diver. We typically travel to at least one sometimes two events a month out of state and then whatever happens to be around us too with her. This year we took the summer off to re-coop but have started our nationals training already. It was nice having the summer off for once since we are trying to get the new DD club off the ground. My new pup has a hard time leaving the dock without thinking about it but the less slipping at the end of the doock the better. Your dog seems to have a lot of toy drive already, that is half the battle. I am around Canton, sometimes we get some people together to practice and I have a friend in Painsville that teaches dockdiving too. Let me know if you need any help. Happy jumping!

I live in Chesterland, Oh. Painesville isn't too far from me. Can you put me in touch with your friend who teaches dock diving? I am also thinking of joining the Buckeye Dock Dogs.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Ann & Miles

I sent you an email.