A question about Novice A and B...

Thread: A question about Novice A and B...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultA question about Novice A and B...

Our crazy neighbor says that he titled a dog many years ago. The instructor we had at that time told him that when he begins to compete with his current dog, he must compete in Novice B since he titled a dog before (even if it was many years ago).

I was very surprised to see him competing with us in Novice A at Angus' trial.

What do you think is the deal with this? Can you compete in Novice A if you have already titled? But you just don't get credit or something?

If he is supposed to be in B, I would really like for him to be in B. :whatever:

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A question about Novice A and B...

Well, according to the AKC regs, a Novice A handler must not have put an AKC Novice, Open or Utility title on a dog (page 23 if the link isn't to that page). http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf Maybe your neighbor titled a dog through another registry?

If he titled a dog in AKC obedience then he should be in B. The AKC will send a rather rude letter saying that he will have to return any awards and any legs will be removed.
    There is no difference in competing in A vs B as they are both scored the same.
    If he competed with a dog not registered to him he might get away with it. Also if he changed his name he might get away with it. (got married and took wifes name, etc..)
    And sometimes AKC just doesn't catch it.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Interesting, very interesting. Thanks you guys!

Connie and "The Boys":

That's right. It doesn't matter if you showed a dog to a title in 1960 and haven't stepped foot in a ring since, you are required to compete in Nov B now. You only get one Novice A dog in your lifetime. That's why you need to really enjoy the experience.

Some people don't understand the rules and others just don't care. If the guy still doesn't get it, you could always rather loudly say at the show "Hey! I thought you already titled a dog. Why are you in Nov A?" hehehehe Somtimes peer pressure is enough to get someone to abide by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell

If he competed with a dog not registered to him he might get away with it.
    Nope...not even then because in order to compete in ANY A level class you must be the owner of the dog or a member of the immediate family. If you don't own the dog, you must compete in B.

For example, my friend was showing her first dog in Open A. She decided she wanted to have someone else show her dog. She had to enter Open B even though the dog didn't have the Open title yet. Now she could have had her son show the dog in A except he has no idea how to show a dog.

Meghan and I have an issue because I have titled a dog but she hasn't. She can (and has) step in to show Murray for me whether I'm in A or B but I can't show Essy if they are entered in Novice A.

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    That's right. It doesn't matter if you showed a dog to a title in 1960 and haven't stepped foot in a ring since, you are required to compete in Nov B now. You only get one Novice A dog in your lifetime. That's why you need to really enjoy the experience.
    That sounds like the speech the judge gave at the ribbon ceremony when Angus placed first. She said those exact words, "You only get one Novice A dog in your lifetime." She went on to say that's what was so special about this group, all first-time handlers and dogs, and why she loved judging it and was so pleased we had brought her our dogs. She was a very nice judge. Marlene Burford.

But, I might actually have two Novice A dogs, right? If I title them both the same day? What if they were both entered at a two-day trial, and one of them NQ'd the first day and the other got a title? Would I be required to move up to B the second day?

Connie and "The Boys":

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell

If he competed with a dog not registered to him he might get away with it.
    Nope...not even then because in order to compete in ANY A level class you must be the owner of the dog or a member of the immediate family. If you don't own the dog, you must compete in B...
    I think maybe the reference to the dog not registered to him was to the dog he titled years ago. Yeah, if that was the case, he should have shown in Novice B, but, like was already mentioned, maybe he got away with it. Either way, he should be competing in Novice B now, assuming the title he put on the other dog was an AKC one.

You are correct you can have as many Novice A dogs as you want as long as they are all being shown in that same time period. Once you get your title you can remain in Novice A for 60 days. You cannot under any circumstances move from Novice A to Novice B in any show that has already closed. Basically they state that there are no Lateral moves allowed after the Closing date of the show.

Kelly and Amber

I had to look to see how groups were handled in Novice A and it does say that you must provide a handler for each dog you have entered in the groups and that the person does NOT have to be related or a member of the imediate family so you could enter 10 Angus's in Novice A as long as you could con 9 friends into taking them in for groups.

Kelly and Amber