okay, one more agility question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: okay, one more agility question

Defaultokay, one more agility question

I am filing out our first agility entry

I am trying to decide whether to run her in preferred or standard and am looking for some thoughts.

She is almost 2 and has a diagnosis of mild to moderate HD. She also has alignment issues in her back- that we see a chiropractor to deal with. She gets a HA supplement, cosequin, and fish oil. None of this prevents her from being happy and active.

She would jump 20 in standard and 16 in preferred. We generally practice at 16- it was what we started at and it just became habit for me to set the jumps at.

I am not concerned about now- she really is doing fine now and loves agility, but I am concerned about the long term. My ego is not tied up in getting standard titles versus preferred titles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: okay, one more agility question

as long as you can leave your ego at the door I'd go 16 inches from the get go honestly given gabby's issues (potential issues)

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

been battling this issue myself, and have nearly convinced myself that its better to run Soph in specials... I'd have no qualms about moving a heavier-bodied labrador down a jump height.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

and just another thing - there is NO SUCH thing as JUST one more agility question
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

The titles are all the same for prefered vs. standard with the exception of the MACH (Master Agility Championship). I would start in Prefered and then you can at anytime you want switch to Regular. You have to go through all the levels in each class, so if you have your open titles and decide to switch to regular you will have to start in Novice again but its no big deal as you will keep your prefered level standings and legs.
    Whne Amber starts back in agility she will start in Novice Prefered because of her leg injury and see how she does.

Kelly and Amber

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Honestly, if the Dx is correct, I don't know that I'd do much beyond novice anyhow.

Did you send the films to OFA? More importantly, have you xrayed her elbows-- they'll be taking more of the impact, and soundness is quite important there. I ask my puppy owners to not jump full height until they have their hip/elbow OFA clearances done at age 2.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I would enter 16". I also do not compete nor jump my dogs at full height until their OFA x-rays are done.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Honestly, if the Dx is correct, I don't know that I'd do much beyond novice anyhow.

Did you send the films to OFA? More importantly, have you xrayed her elbows-- they'll be taking more of the impact, and soundness is quite important there. I ask my puppy owners to not jump full height until they have their hip/elbow OFA clearances done at age 2.
    I was planning on re-doing the x-rays after her second birthday because of the guarantee with the breeder. So it won't be a big deal to add the elbows.

Let me add: We did do a full vet/chiro work-up before we started agility lessons. Her breeder's line matures quickly- so I wasn't worried about starting a few months before 2. She was cleared to go and we started very slowly.

It wouldn't even be a question for me...Preferred...but my goals may be different than yours. Murray and Essy both compete in Preferred. We do agility for fun. We have no aspirations to make the world team or nationals or any other major event. I'm not interested in a MACH either. This is just something we do on weekends to spend quality time together. Agility is not a sport created for a large, heavy boned breed like a Lab (or Mastiff, or Rottweiler, etc) but these dogs still compete and have fun. My goal is to keep my teammate as healthy as possible for as long as possible so we compete in Preferred.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    My goal is to keep my teammate as healthy as possible for as long as possible so we compete in Preferred.
    Nicely stated. I started to write something earlier but it wasn't coming out right. I'll try...

I feel blessed to have an almost 13 yo who has led an active life, and is still able to scale the bed by herself every night. Her younger sister had mild-mod HD, and by 2 yo, *I* began to see some changes in stamina, jumping, etc. I took her thru her CD but that was it. By 4, her physical issues were fairly obvious without any added stress to her joints. I also did all the joint, etc, supplements with Mollie but they can only do so much to slow the processes. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast