agility question (s)

Thread: agility question (s)

Defaultagility question (s)

I went to the local obedience,agility trials at our local fairgrounds yesterday, and absolutely loved the agility trials. We are set to start training in April. Here's my question, what is the difference between novice and rally? I noticed that in rally people were allowed to use treats, lots of body language etc. I competed in obedience many years ago, and it looks like alot has changed since then. I had never heard of a rally before. Can someone enlighten me? ??? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: agility question (s)

Rally was set up to be the bridge between the CGC and CD. It allows the handler to use lots of extra commands and signals and to have fun with the dog in the ring.

Personally, I use it as a training tool. It's great to get a dog competing at upper levels back into the ring to have some fun and let them relax. It's also great to start a young dog in the ring with all the extra "talk" you get to use with them.

Rally is nothing like agility. I was a little confused with your question, thinking you were asking about Rally vs Novice Agility

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Rally was invented by Bud Kramer as a blend between agility and obedience - meant to bring more lightness to the obedience world - where the courses are ever changing and the emphasis is more on teamwork than precise movements.

A good description here: http://www.bclab.com/Rally.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

In AKC Rally you are NOT allowed to use treats in the ring. You can however, talk to your dog as much as you want to, pat your leg and clap (in novice and advanced, not excellent). You also cannot touch your dog in the ring. I also started in Rally because I had been training for a year and still wasn't ready for Obedience, but wanted to get started showing. I like Rally because you can talk to your dog, it's not judged as "precisely" as obedience, and I find it a personal challenge for my dog and me to get through the course all on our own.

If you saw treats used in Rally you were probably watching ADPT Rally, not AKC Rally, or possibly it was a match, not an actual show.

As has already been said, Rally is a blend of obedience and agility. You follow a preset course, like agility, but you do obedience exercises. In Novice obedience, a judge is calling out orders that you must execute. In Rally, you go at your own pace and the only order from the judge is "forward" at the start of the course.