Angus Novice Day Two Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angus Novice Day Two Results

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus Novice Day Two Results

I believe our day can be summed up by the following riddle:

Question: What always follows the thrill of victory?

:

Yes, today it was the agony of defeat. One thing about Angus: When he goes down, he goes down in flames.

I was so much less nervous this morning, which is really all that I wanted to accomplish today, if nothing else: Just go into the ring and smile and have fun. Well, I did! No racing heart, no shaking hands, very calm and collected. So on that front, mission accomplished.

Angus was doing very, very well. There were only four dogs present today, so it looked good for a ribbon for us. The two dogs before us NQ'd on the recall. It started looking like a red or a blue ribbon, maybe even.

I got confused and flustered on the stand for exam, and kind of screwed it up, but Angus even did that very well: I was especially worried about today, because I knew the judge was a very tall man. Angus can be a little weird about being approached by very tall men. He did insist on visiting the judge briefly before the stand, but he did fine when left. So, I really thought that was the last big hurdle.

After that was heel free, and I had a bit of wrangling to do to keep him with me to the starting point, but he did extremely well once we started. Better than yesterday even.

So, the last exercise is the one thing I never worry about. Recall. Angus ADORES recall. It's easily his favorite exercise. I am thinking we are locked down.

Note to self: Never, never think you are locked down.

Angus did his signature bullet-like recall again today, coming in like a freight train. But today, the freight train lost its brakes. And derailed.

He came straight to front, but instead of sitting, went on around. Then he just kept right on going for a little spin around the ring in full butt-tuck. He was having a blast.

The judge said it broke his heart to have to NQ us. He did tell me on the way out that my handling was beautiful, and specifically commented on the smoothness of my heeling. He said the others were so choppy and not doing transitions well, but that I looked really smooth and he said it was so much help to my dog to maintain that smoothness. He said with great seriousness, "You have a LOT of potential. Especially for a Novice A handler, you did so well."

So, that made me feel a little better.

We were in first very easily, if Angus had nailed that Recall.

Angus even did his stays perfectly (after a very serious heart-to-heart before we went in). And we even did them the long way of the ring, something I wasn't sure if he'd have a problem with or not.

So, there you go. Proof yet again that you just NEVER KNOW.

Oh well. One of my instructors was really hilarious afterwards. She came back to us, all smiling, and said, "Well! He looked *really* good until he lost his mind!"

Angus, Angus, Angus....(shaking head)

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Angus Novice Day Two Results

Awwwww, shucks Connie! They'll keep you humble that's for sure!!!

patm is offline Senior Member

Aw man! I get everybody was so sad to see him do the butt-tuck (even if they probably grinned a little because I bet he looked so HAPPY!) There was probably a collective little gasp and then a sigh....... I thought of something to tell you, that our instructor told us - if your dog does the recall and doesn't stop in front of you, but goes straight into the heel position, just stand tight, and when the judge orderes "finish" give you dog your heel command, and if they try to change their postion at all to get into a better heel position, you might not NQ - just points off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

oh I know that butt tucking around the ring (even if it was a Cav doing the butt tucking)...glad the rest of it went well for you tho

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

such is life in the fast lane ... you probably were just a tiny bit too relaxed and confident - he read it early and went mad

I can't tell you how often the last jump in agility comes crashing down - with spectators cheers echoing falsely round and round...

NEVER EVER THINK YOU ARE LOCKED DOWN

sounds like a great day though and getting the nerves thing under control is HUGE... rehearse that mental state a lot til you can pull it out even when you are stressed

thanks for the details
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Still, all in all wonderful weekend

Great job!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Still, all in all wonderful weekend

Great job!
    Oh yes, one blue ribbon in a weekend is more than enough to be happy with! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you were able to see the positives from today and take them home with you. ;D Kona has done the zoomies once in the open ring.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You will look back on this day and smile. At least if you NQd, he had fun at it... that's way better than if it had been a traumatic experience instead. A little maturation is what sounds to be in order.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Oh gosh Connie. I'm so sorry you didn't Q today. It sounds like the judge was very nice/helpful though. It's always nice to hear there are judges out there willing to give some encouragement to the Novice A people. You and Angus are going to do well in obedience, I have no doubt. Sometimes the stress in the ring causes a dog to get the zoomies. Essy used to do it alot in aglity. First she'd start zooming and everyone would be laughing, then she'd squat to pee or poop. Stress affects each dog differently and it doesn't necessarily even have to be your stress they are feeling. Dogs can get stressed by situations too.

So, the last exercise is the one thing I never worry about. Recall. Angus ADORES recall. It's easily his favorite exercise. I am thinking we are locked down.

Yes cardinal rule #1 in obedience is to NEVER think it's in the bag.

One of my instructors was really hilarious afterwards. She came back to us, all smiling, and said, "Well! He looked *really* good until he lost his mind!"
    HAHAHA! You need to put that on a plaque or something. ;D After all of the times Essy has pooped or peed in the ring, I've teased Meghan that I'm going to get a shirt that says "Poop happens" to wear when she's in agility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast