Please welcome JL's newest Nurse!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please welcome JL's newest Nurse!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease welcome JL's newest Nurse!

Wassookeag Jake of All Trades RN

Now the long story - and it wasn't very pretty, but I don't care right now as I'm still excited about the title

Show was 1.5-2 hours away, we left early and got there way too early. It was cold and windy so a lot of dogs had scratched, so I got Jake out early and warmed him up. He looked great, was being super flashy with his heeling, good attention, dropping when I said (we had a moving down and a halt, down, walk-around). The course was easy-ish as well so I was feeling good. Then Jake got bored - oops.

We played fetch, he was back in the game. We heeled up to the ring, he sat, eyes locked on me, and then - "you need to switch your collar." I had Jake's chain collar on the inactive ring still :-[ I switched the collar around, but he was gone. The judge was waiting at this point, so I did the best I could to get him to watch me and hurried in. What I should've done - backed away from the ring, got his attention back, and then heeled up again.

Our course waivered from great attention and heeling, to wandering aimlessly toward the stewards with his tail wagging like mad LOL. We finished second with a 90 (out of two), but we did get "highest scoring lab in rally" and got a nice tile with the club's name on it.

We got a picture with the judge, since it was his titling Q, and the judge said he liked Jake (he had labs), and I should spend less time with the stewards at the gate so Jake doesn't lose his attention before we go in the ring. I told him it was mostly that I had got him out too early, so he was bored, but my mistake with equipment didn't help either! He was very nice and helpful with other suggestions as well.

We go back today for our insurance leg, hopefully with better attention in the ring ;D

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please welcome JL's newest Nurse!

Congratulations!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

amazongold is offline Senior Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! ;D ;D
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Whoo Whoo!!! Big congrats!!!
    I have a question - if you had been doing all that stuff with the collar on the "wrong way", did you have to change it? I mean, you don't really use the collar in the ring because you have to keep a loose leash - I just started wondering about it because I had to Emilu out of the ring once because I had the collar on "upside down" (among some other things that I did wrong when I entered the ring) - but really - if you keep a loose leash, it shouldn't matter.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Congrats Jess and Jake!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

brody is offline Senior Member

congrats!

and have fun today - knowing its insurance will make it all so much more relaxing!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats to you both.

Woohoo! Congrats! You still had a very respectable score even with everything that went on.

I still say that training dogs is a constant learning process. Every dog is different so it takes time to learn what can and cannot be done with each dog. For example, your dog deflated with too much waiting time. Another dog might be jazzed. You just never know. That's what keeps this game so fun and exciting.

Good luck today.

Way to go, Jess & Jake!!! CONGRATS!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Our course waivered from great attention and heeling, to wandering aimlessly toward the stewards with his tail wagging like mad LOL.
    Ohhhh, hahahaha! Oh, how familiar that sounds. Jake and Angus, long-lost brothers.

I have made both those mistakes: The equipment mistake and the getting out too soon mistake. I had Angus' chain collar on backwards for his CGC : I flipped it back around, he went into the Alligator Death Roll, and that was the beginning of the end for us.

Getting out too soon is a mistake I tend to repeat, and repeat and repeat. :-[ I finally seem to be doing a little better with not stepping up to the actual ring gate too soon. This is the hardest thing about competing, to me: Timing.

Well anyway! Congratulations on your second place! Sounds like you had an awesome run. Hope the insurance leg went even better!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast