SNOW-gility!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNOW-gility!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultSNOW-gility!

Yes indeed, our first agility trial of the year in beautiful sunny C. WA ended in SNOW this afternoon. The morning started out quite nippy and grey, but I managed to shed my coat long enough to run our morning Nov Standard course without it (quickly getting redressed upon finishing!). We just missed a Q due to 1 extra refusal... but Mata's contact work was good, so that was progress since she'd had a teeter issue last fall in her debuts. By afternoon, the dark clouds moved in and started spitting BIG flakes of snow which STUCK. The last of the 20/24" dogs began to slide on the contact equipment and a few handlers fell. The judge decided to run the Nov JWW whichMata was in but cancelled Open Std due to the hazardous conditions.

JWW was tough enough--- many handlers scratched their dogs. One person slipped right at the start and hurt her knee by the looks of it. I got up to the line w/ Mata, now so cold I said the heck w/ it, I'm not only wearing my heavy coat, but my HOOD too! It was snowing big flakes, and just keeping my glasses clear was something. The first 2 jumps were winged jumps-- did you know white winged jumps don't make any sense when the ground is covered in SNOW? :'( :P I could tell on the 2nd jump that Mata was not seeing the jumps well, and I fell on my butt. :-[ I got up thinking that we'd not pass, but darn it, I PAID FOR THIS RUN and we're going to finish it, albeit slowly! ;D I took it VERY easy, had one refusal (3rd jump right after my fall) but we finished the course in just 3 seconds over time for a FIRST PLACE in 20"!!!! Woohoo! Still can't believe that. The courses were great, but then I knew they would be as the judge is a lab exhibitor/member of PSLRA. That was the sole reason for my choosing agility over the otherwise nicely run obed trials in W. WA this weekend. I'm glad I did since the mountain passes are not looking good right now.

I will be back for more bodily punishment tomorrow. Supposed to be slightly better weather but not much. Looks like Sunday will be the best, Debjen. Of course Sonya and I (okay, just Sonya...) will be chasing Ducks on Sunday am at the hunt test not too far from there, bright and early.

Report submitted by a tired and cold to the bone Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: SNOW-gility!

Wow! We run in the rain all the time. I can't even imagine trying to run in the snow (wet, slick, not to mention the same color as the jumps as you stated). Congrats on the 1st place. You probably need to frame that one.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats Anne..I keep looking at the weather reports..it snowed most of the day here..yuck...but Sunday does look the best day of the weekend..so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I'm glad for your first place!

amazing you were only 3 seconds over time

hope today is fun and snow free
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

It was fun and better weather today!!! Until the drive home, anyhow-- I ran into snow the last 30 miles from home.

And, we double Q'd to boot! Woohooo. She took a 3rd in Std and a 4th in JWW (had to redo our weaves which cost us some time). I'm very happy. Our mistakes in Std were pretty much just novice stuff. She missed the tunnel which was at a 90 degree angle on both the std courses, and obviously we haven't trained enough for her to recognize where the opening was if she didn't see it from the approach. My fault! We did quite well considering I really don't train that much for agility. 8)

Off to the hunt tests tomorrow, but I'll stay tuned for Debjen's report! Oh, did I mention it was Spring Carnival there too, so lots of carnie rides and food nearby? That scared some of the dogs but mine weren't fazed. They just wanted all the food that people were bringing by! LOL. Anne

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the double Q..I've got my layers ready for tomorrow. Good luck at the Hunt test.

brody is offline Senior Member

awesome news

you have quite the weekend planned eh?

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Congratulations, Anne! I heard you guys had a snow delay today. Yikes! We were inside at Argus, where is was cold, but dry. LOL!

No snow delay where I was (hunt test today). You know those manly man types... a little snow wouldn't stand in their way! But I bet there was a delay at the Agility trials. Hope the Argus obed went well!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Man, what terrible weather for agility! Congrats on some nice runs though!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast