Finally! A Good class from start to finish!

Thread: Finally! A Good class from start to finish!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultFinally! A Good class from start to finish!

I am not complaining about my obedience classes - rather, I am happy about Emilu's behavior last night. There is always "something" that she does to concern me - growling at another dog, being so "antsy" that I just wish she would calm down, losing it when the other dogs start coming into the building and running the "gauntlet" out the door at the end of class - I never know what she's going to do or how she is going to react that night. Last night it was great from start to finish. As soon as we went in the building I put her in a long down and went out of the building to pick up dog poop (we've been having a problem with dog poop outside the building and I saw 2 on the way in. Normally I wouldn't do that to her, but I knew the instructor was keeping an eye on her. She never moved a muscle. Then the class just went well. She was much less "dog reactive" , and as long as she was just "looking", I let her, and then would give her a treat as she glanced back at me. She was "playful", but not nervous antsy. I have decided that Emilu needs some fun physical attention during class, so I grabbed her nose, let her put her feet on me, and even had a little belly scratch. I knew she was really more relaxed when I caught her doing a nice "doggy down" stretch . She's NEVER done that in class. We also did long sits and down, out of sight for the full time, and again she did great - I don't think she ever moves. I so hope this is a real change for her - maybe the meds are kicking in, as well as our training. Getting out the door was also much better. I held a treat in front of her nose and we managed to heel nicely out the door. Usually she is straining and struggling to just get by all those dogs and out of there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Finally! A Good class from start to finish!

Congratulations! Glad everything went well!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Pat, that sounds really great! She is doing really well with out of sight stays, hmm? We haven't even gone there yet. I will sometimes leave the living room and go into the kitchen for a few seconds. When I come back, they both have their necks craned up as far as they will go, trying to see where I went.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like you guys are making some real progress. Leaving her in the building while you picked up poop was a wonderful opportunity to practice OOS. Good job! Not to mention "Thanks!" for picking up others poop. Remember those little nose tweaks, pats, stretches, etc when you are in the ring. They really help destress a dog. Since she's putting her paws on you, if you could eventually teach her to jump up that would work too.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Pat that is wonderful! She's coming along!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org