Another Novice question: Leaving the ring after groups

Thread: Another Novice question: Leaving the ring after groups

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Novice question: Leaving the ring after groups

OK, I read this link that Lydia posted in my other thread. GREAT reading!

http://clubs.akc.org/saints/Archives/newsroom.htm

Something I read prompted another question:

OK. Angus has always had a very hard time with stays. I didn't think we would ever reach a point that he would stop creeping, or getting up, or visiting. A lot of the people I train with have an after-stay treat policy: After groups, the dog gets something they never get otherwise. A very big deal is made of awarding this special treat.

We adopted that policy, and I don't know if it was the "special treat" or just a function of having practiced for longer, but with Angus it seemed to work.

However, here's the issue:

He knows his "special treat" is coming whenever he does a stay. He is VERY jazzed to go and get his special treat after stays. To the point of leaping around me like a jackrabbit on crack. The question I have is: Does he need to heel very calmly out of the ring? We have been practicing a lower-key ring exit, but I swear, it's TORTURE for him! Last night we had a run-through and I made him sit after the down, and attempted to get him to walk quietly from the ring. I would take a couple of steps, he would leap, I would tell him to get in, he would get in and look up at me and whine pitifully, repeat repeat repeat. :

As long as he is "under control" (on a leash), do I not need to worry so much if he gets excited after stays? Or do I need to keep him very calm until we step out of the ring?

No one at the club has ever mentioned that they need to leave quietly. But after reading the link, and a story about a puppy who got excited after stays and therefore not "under control at all times," now I'm wondering if we're going to be in trouble on this. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Novice question: Leaving the ring after groups

Just do the best you can. Maybe the whole thing will be different enough for him that he won't be quite as "excited". But if you do the best you can to keep him under control and exit quietly, that's all you can do. Theoretically, the judging is done on all the "stations", so unless it's really bad, I don't think they'll take off points.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think under control and on leash is what is in the rule book? And definitely make sure he is on leash because if he bolts out of the ring you can receive a BIG deduction (it happened to me and Magnum, -15 points).

Do your best to keep him under control. You can walk quickly. Don't let him bark. The main thing is that you don't want to disrupt people that might be competing in the adjacent rings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I think it is okay to have a lively release as long as you are in control of Angus. Just don't release him until you have the leash on him. The exercise is still over when the judge says so leaving him in stay until you leash might help keeping him under control.

Moose always gives me a big jump after the release.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

I would try to keep it as low key as possible but I doubt you'll lose any pts unless he's totally out of control, however, it's important to be mindful of the other exhibitors. They may not have their dogs leashed yet or their dogs may be reactive to a dog jumping around. If you instigate a dog fight, someone is going to lose something.

I'd leash him while he's still in a down (I do this with Murray so he doesn't think the exercise is over until his leash is on). I'd also either try to be first out or last out of the ring (there may be a traffic jam at the gate to get out which is going to delay Angus' treat further). BTW, you don't formally file out, it's kind of a free for all (leave when ready) so that should be doable.

Also, those articles are written by John Cox. He and his wife are both AKC judges...strict AKC judges with sharp pencils. They both still measure every dog that goes into their ring so realize that not every judge is going to be that strict. What one judge will allow, another one won't. If they are ones that don't like something (such as giving extra commands or helping the dog after you have already NQd, or excessive play between exercises), they will usually give you one warning. Also, if they are they type that don't mind the extra commands, they will probably say something like "call him again". Those are my favorite judges.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Phew. OK, that makes me feel better that not all judges are that strict

We will gauge what's going on and try to be first or last to leave. We can be last...Angus is VERY good at waiting to be released. He has every muscle coiled, ready to spring when it's over, but he will not budge until I give the signal. I even try to trick him sometimes (got this from Linda) by saying "OKLAHOMA!" or "OKEFENOKEE!"

And, he will not try to buzz the ring...he just orbits around me. So I know he won't (deliberately) bother another dog. But I do want to be careful not to upset anyone's dog. I have the habit of waiting until I am sure that everybody else in the ring has released their dog. Angus is last. So, he's used to that.

Our judges are Maureen Burford and Bob Self Jr. I had Maureen with one of them for Rally once. Need to go look this up. I think she may have been the one where Angus ran out of the ring in Rally Advanced. :-\ Angus had Bob Self Jr. for Pre-Novice last year. He seemed very, very nice...like the type of judge who wanted you to do well.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

We use our find it command that I wrote about in that other thrad.

She knows there is a treat there, and she has to get to it. We walk very briskly on lead!

I never release Amber from the down till her leash is on. I also am the last one out of the ring as when she was showing she was very reactive to people and dogs. There is no hurry to get out of the ring once groups are done (As long as your dog isn't going to potty in the ring).
    Keeping Amber under control in the ring is always a challenge.

Kelly and Amber

kaytris is offline Senior Member

He knows what "touch" means, right? Have him target your hand as you leave the ring.