So where does everyone start.. new to AKC/UKC Obedience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where does everyone start.. new to AKC/UKC Obedience

DefaultSo where does everyone start.. new to AKC/UKC Obedience

I am just curious where everyone starts when entering into UKC/AKC Obedience. I currently have 3 of my Labs in Obedience classes and we will be taking our CGC/TDI testing in a few weeks. But after that I would like to continue moving the girls into more classes and then competition. Any advice??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So where does everyone start.. new to AKC/UKC Obedience

Welcome to the addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D First I would find a place to train where they actively compete. I know of a number of places that train but they don't actively competed or they have just put a CD on a dog. You want someone who has advanced titles. You sure change your training when you have done UD work and UDX work! Go to some trials. That is how I got hooked. I also got the AKC and UKC rules and regulations so I could read them. I still read them often before I go to a show. Find a good mentor. That is always helpful, but not a necessity. Many have trained and competed with out working with anyone, but it is helpful. Just a couple of ideas!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I agree with looking for a training club that is involved in competition. You will learn a lot and it is much more fun when you make friends with others that are interested in the same thing.

If you go to the AKC website you can look up clubs that offer training sites. I don't know if your area has anything similar, but in California we have the Southern California Obedience Council and it provides a list of clubs, upcoming events and provides information about training with each of the clubs. That is how I found the club I belong to.

Good luck!

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Definitely find a competitive trainer.

I'm not familar with UKC but in AKC they offer Rally which is supposed to be a stepping stone between the CGC and obedience/agility. Rally is all of the basic obedience exercises done in a course setting similar to agility. You are allowed talk to your dog and encourage them. I think Rally is an excellent place to start your obedience career.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

If you go to the AKC website you can look up clubs that offer training sites.

You will only find member clubs. There are facilities that train competitively but are not member clubs of the AKC.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wanted to add another vote for Rally. I am working on Rally Excellent titles for both boys now. I wanted to start competing, but were very new to all this and didn't feel ready for traditional obedience. Rally is a great bridge. It was my intention to get all the way through Rally before competing in Novice obedience. We have been training exclusively for Rally for about a year...and interestingly, I think it has helped hone our obedience skills. Especially heeling.

I heard or read once that Rally was inspired by what obedience trainers used to call "doodling" with their dogs...it incorporates many moves that help sharpen the dog's skills in the ring. I believe it was developed with the intention of serving as a basis for traditional obedience.

There is a lot less pressure in some ways, as you can talk to your dog and encourage them and help them stay focused and on track. However, I think in some ways it is more challenging than obedience, because you have to always be thinking ahead to the next sign and what is the best way to bring your dog into it.

I didn't think I would like it when I first heard about it, but after a few classes and competing a few times, I'm hooked!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thanks so much everyone.. my trainer at the school the girls are attending showed professionally in Obedience (20 years ago) and still has fun with Agility. She is beginning an Ralley class this spring so I actually did consider making that the next step as well. To give you some history my husband and I have trained our crew on the Field hunting style of obedience (blind retreivals and such) but after going to the shows and such, competetive obedience is much different but so much fun. I live in Southern New Jersey but only a stones throw from PA so if anyone knows of any local clubs I would love to know.. I will look on the AKC website today.

patm is offline Senior Member

Emilu and I started training with a local lady, because I just wanted to have a "trained dog". She had shown in the past, but not recently, and we were usually the only ones there, which was great in a way, but I knew that we needed to train around other dogs. I also wanted to go to more of a training club where they were active in showing. I found one 1.5 hours away. After about a year of training it became obvious that we werent' going to be ready for AKC obedience for a while and I wanted to do "something", so we got ready for Rally, pretty much on our own, because the club doesn't have a rally class, most people do it on their own. We had 2 rally titles and it seemed like we still wouldn't be ready for Novice obedience (didn't do things perfectly in class -ever), but I decided to just "go for it" and we got our Novice title in 3 shows with respectable scores.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

You will only find member clubs. There are facilities that train competitively but are not member clubs of the AKC
    Actually you can search for clubs that offer training on the AKC website. Won't say how accurate it is, but it is a start.

The Rally class sounds like a excellent way to start!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You've gotten some good advice. You don't mention your dogs ages (or if you did, I didn't catch it). If they aren't too young, you can get involved in agility as well. In AKC your dog must be 15 months to compete. I love both sports, but find myself spending more time with agility as it's more fun.

Yes, enroll in the Rally class. That's a good step to working and training for Novice Obedience.

Welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast