opportunity for me to foster a Golden Retriever DECISION MADE!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opportunity for me to foster a Golden Retriever DECISION MADE!!

Defaultopportunity for me to foster a Golden Retriever DECISION MADE!!

I have had an interesting offer to foster a Golden. The breeder wants someone to foster a female golden. She will pay for food and medical. The dog already has an AX and AXJ (Agility). I would be able to do whatever I wanted with her and enter her in whatever events I wanted to.
    I think it would be a good experience for me to be able to run a normal dog in agility and it would give me a chance to train another dog while Amber is healing her shoulder. I get free entries while working at agility events so it seems a waste not to use them.
    I also think it would be good for Amber to have another dog around. This dog is very stable and lovable and I think would fit in well.
    Has anyone else ever fostered a dog like this? What does everyone think? Is this a normal type arrangement? I am assuming I will need to sign a contract to make sure everyone knows everything that is expected.

Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: opportunity for me to foster a Golden Retriever

I don't have any experience fostering, but just wanted to say if I was in your shoes I would jump at the chance! Of course, I am a HUGE Golden fan. She sounds like a really nice dog. Do you think Amber would like having a friend?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

So what does the breeder get out of the deal? If I were you, I'd make a list of pros and cons.

As Amber is healing her shoulder as well, it might not be a good idea to add a second dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    So what does the breeder get out of the deal? If I were you, I'd make a list of pros and cons.
    Offhand, attention for the dog that she may not be able to give, someone to train/run the dog, possibly a better handler for the dog, just a "better fit" for the dog, etc.

Kelly, is this a dog that the breeder had returned to her, a dog the breeder rescued, - where did the dog come from?

brody is offline Senior Member

I agree - what does the breeder get out of it?

What are the provisions around the deal falling apart? how often do you each revisit the deal

in many ways I think it sounds great - I did something similar with a Sheltie pup for 8 months - I trained and showed and loved her and she lived with us.. we did not arrange the exit plan well and there are still a lot of bad feelings between the humans involved

half of me hollers GO FOR IT

and half of me says KEEP YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN

one tough thing to keep in mind is if somebody else is paying the bills somebody else calls the shots..if disaster strikes you may find yourself in claims court to pay the bills for something "you caused" or you may find yourself terribly distressed about a euthanasia you wouldn't have chosen

get the principle in writing and be open and up front about what you cna and can't do

(and keep us posted of course!)

very exciting to even think about
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Hmm...interesting. Foster = temporary. How long is this deal for? What is the purpose of structuring it this way...is she trying to find a permanent home so you are basically providing shelter until that time? How attached do you get? I'm a foster failure. I just can't do it. I've done it twice for special situations and it was always so tough to let the dog go. I just get too attached. I know if I have a dog for any length of time I'm going to be blubbering idiot by the time they have to go. As a foster parent, I paid all expenses for my fosters (food, toys, training). Of course they didn't have any major medical issues (one had tick fever but that was easily treatable and I could afford to pay for it). I'm thinking on the surface this deal seems too good to be true (free dog already trained...what's the catch) so I'd be asking a lot of questions and getting everything in writing.

What I am concerned about is, why would the breeder want to place her? Is it temperary or permanent? but WHY does she want to do it...that would be the kicker for me.

What if something goes wrong, ie. dog gets hurt. Who pays for that? Is the dog to be bred? Etc etc etc.

Make sure your contract is very blunt and covers everything.

I should say I learned of this golden from my agility instructor. My agility instructor was the one that initially trained and ran the dog at trials for the breeder. The breeder doesn't believe in breeding unless the dog has at least some titles. The breeder also believes that a dog with a job is a happy dog. It became expensive to have my trainer keep the dog as she charges 15 dollars a day plus show entries plus $25 for every class run. You can see how this can add up to $1200 a month.
    The breeder wants to keep the female for breeding but wants her to be happy and healthy. I would end up losing her for a couple of weeks when she comes in season if they breed her and longer if she does take. The breeder would also be quite happy if I would take her after she was done with the litter(s)? as the would know that she would continue to get titles and a happy home.
    I wouldn't do this without a pretty clear and laid out contract. I will talk to the breeder this weekend and go over all the small (And important ) details.
    I would have to make sure that Amber doesn't hurt herself with a new friend to play with, but I do have two seperate fenced areas I can keep dogs with ease.

Kelly and Amber

Egads.

No offence, but I would steer clear of this situation.

Basically, they want a dog to breed, but don't want to care for the dog other then when she is whelping pups. Big red flag, as this sort of 'foster' arrangement seems to be gaining popularity. Sounds like an easy way to make money to me.

Basically, you get a pet who then goes for breeding duty. If they thought the girl was so wonderful and good enough to breed, why didn't they keep her? What do they know about her?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I don't see it much different than someone co-owning a dog for show/breeding. That seems to be pretty standard from what I have seen from show dogs - why would that be different for an agility dog.
    I would relook at fostering and look more at a co-ownership with a contract that stipulated you own the dog, but share the breeding rights. Now sure how contracts are written for dogs that are co-owned. You might want to pose that in conformation/show.

I would also want to stipulate at least an age that breeding would no longer be an option as well. Again this might be something others have already encountered co-owning dogs.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast