Anyone have any obedience showing tips for me? :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any obedience showing tips for me? :)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone have any obedience showing tips for me? :)

Angus' Novice debut is this weekend. Anyone have any tips on showing?

One of my trainers said to carry your armband into the ring so you don't have to fiddle and take it off with your dog in one hand. I thought that was a good one, and I'll try to remember.

The same trainer said to swing them around and back them up to the ring gate, if possible, instead of swinging them around so they're facing out. Less temptation to leave.

I know you guys probably have all kinds of little tips and "secrets..." If you have any you wouldn't mind sharing that would be much appreciated! :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone have any obedience showing tips for me? :)

I wouldn't change too much about how you work. A lot of people (myself included) slow way down in the show ring compared to how we practice. Remember to walk fast! I find smiling at Gabs helps too.

Other things...people get caught up in their interactions with the judge and forget where their dog is...they "lose" their dog during the "this is the blah blah exercise...do you have any questions?" part. It's important to keep the dog "with you."

You'll be fine

patm is offline Senior Member

What's this swinging around thing? For the long sits and downs? I don't get it. Did they mean to take your armband off for the long sit and downs? That sounds OK - I can't remember what I did, but you need to prop your armband up so it can be read by the judge while the dogs are sitting there. The big thing to remember is to take your time and truely - have fun. The judges I've had for Novice A were super nice. Listen to the judge as they explain the heeling pattern etc. and watch everyone before you if you can. If you get lost or screwed up, just ask the judge where you should go. Then listen to the judge, as you pay attention to your dog. It all goes reallly quickly once you're out there. And remember that the people watching want you to do well, and are rooting for your dog ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Other things...people get caught up in their interactions with the judge and forget where their dog is...they "lose" their dog during the "this is the blah blah exercise...do you have any questions?" part. It's important to keep the dog "with you."
    Yes! This is what the guy we do privates with is always reminding me of. In Rally, too, they told us not to look at the judge when they ask you if you are ready. The times I have done it on reflex, I have paid dearly!

Pat, I was talking about backing him up to set him up for the heel free...you know, instead of doing a right 360 that would point him right out the ring gate, back him into the position. Does this make sense?

Connie and "The Boys":

patm is offline Senior Member

It depends on what you have just done before you do the heel free and where you are. I can't remember exactly what we did before the heel frees, but I think we just walked over to the area and did a left turn to the correct direction - it depends on how the ring is set up. I wouldn't stress over this one. Watch the peeps before you and see if you think it will be problem. I have never gotten into the habit of doing the 360 before getting into heel position, although my first instructor always wanted us to do it before "starting" training. It just never clicked with me and Emilu. Actually, I do "back Emilu up" for a lot of things because she is good at it, come to think of it.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just this:

GOOD LUCK!! ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I got confused by the swinging around thing too. When I set Henry up for the heel-free, we just walk on over and I have him sit, and watch me. ???

Remember to breathe! And also what Laura said, about walking quickly!! You'll think you're walking like a fiend when in reality, it's normal.

The Novice A judges in the States always do a briefing/walk-thru for the Novice class (not so if you show in Canada), which was NICE.

One thing I will do with Henry between exercises is have him jump up on me. I know it destresses him so that helps immensely.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

The two things I was going to suggest have been said already- breath and walk briskly. Oh, one more- for the sits and downs- put your hands in whatever position before you leave your dog, and keep them there until the judge says "Excercise complete". Where Mick & I did most of our training, they cross they're arms over their chests. That was too angry looking for Mick (he was very soft), so I clasped them in front of me (I would have tripped trying to walk across the ring if I clasped them behind me). Also, make sure you don't fidget during the stays. That can all be seen as a signal by the judge. It was even recommended that I didn't smile.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    The two things I was going to suggest have been said already- breath and walk briskly. Oh, one more- for the sits and downs- put your hands in whatever position before you leave your dog, and keep them there until the judge says "Excercise complete". Where Mick & I did most of our training, they cross they're arms over their chests. That was too angry looking for Mick (he was very soft), so I clasped them in front of me (I would have tripped trying to walk across the ring if I clasped them behind me). Also, make sure you don't fidget during the stays. That can all be seen as a signal by the judge. It was even recommended that I didn't smile.
    Wow, really? No smiling?

Angus tends to fidget, and now that I think about it, I do too. :-[ It hurts my back to stand up straight in one position for very long. :-\ I will have to watch out for that!

ETA: I cross my arms every time they're supposed to stay put: On stands, sits and downs, and I did it in Rally for the honor. Just because I started doing it this way, so that's the signal now. But I can totally see how, whatever you always do, just do that.

I am just a little concerned about the heel free because I have a ring-leaver : , and I'm afraid if I point his nose out of the ring he's GONE! So it would be like, instead of heeling back to the ring gate and turning to my right, with him on the outside, I would turn backwards to my left to keep him on the inside. Does that make more sense? I am having a hard time describing this!

Connie and "The Boys":

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

Wow, really? No smiling?
    I was told it could be viewed as praising the dog. So I just keep a "plain" face.

...ETA: I cross my arms every time they're supposed to stay put: On stands, sits and downs, and I did it in Rally for the honor. Just because I started doing it this way, so that's the signal now...
    I think that's probably the best way to stand- you have less of a chance of moving your hands. But, like I said, Mick was soft. He would have thought I was mad at him, and either stressed over that, or broke and then stressed over breaking (he was such a head case at times. LOL)

...But I can totally see how, whatever you always do, just do that.
    Yep, the time to try something new is definitely not in the ring.

I am just a little concerned about the heel free because I have a ring-leaver : , and I'm afraid if I point his nose out of the ring he's GONE! So it would be like, instead of heeling back to the ring gate and turning to my right, with him on the outside, I would turn backwards to my left to keep him on the inside. Does that make more sense? I am having a hard time describing this!
    [/quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast