What a very frustrating trial day

Thread: What a very frustrating trial day

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat a very frustrating trial day

Entered Moose in Rally Adv. and Novice A today. Fortunately we had tons of shade because it was very, very hot. 90+ We had rally in the morning about 10 and the course was one of the easiest I've seen. But when you pee on the course it really doesn't matter. I was horrified as Moose has never done this before. The bright side was that Moose was doing great up to that point.

We had Novice later in the afternoon and there were only 3 entered in Nov A (12 in Nov b). I took Moose out to pee but he didn't go so I just assumed he didn't need to. It was so hot I didn't really want to exercise him much. So we go into the ring and he is doing great. We were almost at the end of the off lead heel and suddenly he isn't with me. I look back and he is PEEING!!!! OMG - I was so embarrassed. Twice in one day!

He has never done this before and Moose just isn't the kind of dog that stresses so it had to be me. That is something I can fix.

I've entered our specialty at the end of April and their is a match nearby the weekend before so I will definately be going to the match. I need to make sure that it isn't an issue with being in the ring.

This is not at all what I would have ever expected. I really expected him to melt in Novice. Only 2 of the 12 Open A dogs Q'd due to the heat. None of them would sit - they were going around the jumps when returning with the DB - it was hard to watch.

Oh well - definately a hard lesson!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What a very frustrating trial day

Sorry about the peeing issues.......... I always have that fear!!

adding ......... sounds like he is coming along with the rest of the exercises. ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That is one of the reasons I don't want to show outside! I think most of us have that fear!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    That is one of the reasons I don't want to show outside! I think most of us have that fear!
    Me too! How in are they supposed to discriminate: OK to pee outside every other time, just not now?

I'm so sorry Sharon. But it does sound like he did very well otherwise!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

You know, that's one thing I never thought of. We always show inside too, so the dogs pretty much know not to pee inside. We are going to be doing our first outside show this spring, so now I"ll be worried about her peeing in the ring, among other things :P

Aww what a serious bummer. I'm sure most of us can commiserate with you though. I've had Murray pee during a match run before (entirely my fault because I was running between rings and simply forgot to potty him). Meghan has had more than her fair share of experiences with Essy either peeing or pooping in the ring. Poor kid.

My dogs have a potty command so they pee on command. They are so cute because if they really don't have to potty, they will still squat and look up at me like "Look mom! I'm trying but nothing is coming out!" I will only go in the ring if I have seen them potty or seen them attempt to potty. Now poop is a totally different issue. Both dogs go after eating but it seems that Essy has a mid morning poop too. Also, if she gets stressed she will poop in the ring even if she has recently pooped. You just never know with her. I've considered bringing a cork to shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Me too! How in are they supposed to discriminate: OK to pee outside every other time, just not now?
    You'd be surprised. I can't tell you how many times I've seen dogs leave the ring to go pee then come right back in (Murray included). Talk about a moment. They definitely know when they are in the ring.

Of course I've seen lots of dogs pee in the ring too including OTCH dogs. All of our shows are outside so I guess I just never thought about dogs not peeing at inside shows. See we train and show in public parks so there are tons of pee smells all over. The dogs learn to ignore it. I've never seen a dog sniffing then squat to pee. All of the dogs I've seen pee have peed because they weren't pottied before going into the ring and just couldn't hold it anymore. I'd be more concerned about showing indoors on pristine mats and having the dog before us pee in the ring. THAT would certainly peak my dogs' interest because it would be the only pee scent in the area.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Lydia - you are right. I really think I screwed up here and just didn't spend enough time to get Moose to pee. I haven't been to all that many shows and I'm still trying to learn the right balance for Moose - how much time to warm up etc. I think today I was so worried about getting him hot that I didn't spend enough time getting him out and letting him move around.

It was a hard lesson, but a good lesson.

Moose will pee on command most of the time, but again I think I just didn't give him enough time to get his sniffing and peeing in before warming up before going in the ring.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I'd be more concerned about showing indoors on pristine mats and having the dog before us pee in the ring. THAT would certainly peak my dogs' interest because it would be the only pee scent in the area.
    I don't know what kind of indoor shows you all have out there but the mats here are anything but pristine They either are part of a working club's permanent set up (as in our club's case) or at big rec centers, the clubs just roll them up after the trial with no cleaning, they sit in dusty storage all year, and then are rolled back down.

Sharon, have you considered he may have a UTI? Is he exhibiting any signs of one at home? The only time gabs peed in the warm up ring she had a major UTI.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom

I don't know what kind of indoor shows you all have out there but the mats here are anything but pristine

here too - HAHAHAHA- in fact our training facilities have both been used as dog day care in the morning and then we hold class - dogs spend all day peeing on the mats - then the floors usually get washed and then we run... crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

I really think I screwed up here and just didn't spend enough time to get Moose to pee. I haven't been to all that many shows and I'm still trying to learn the right balance for Moose
    you didn't screw up - you learned - I'm with the folks who just won't go in without a pee .. Thea has peed in a ring once and pooped in a ring once which is sort of funny as she's THE DOG who would not potty inside for a million bucks..but for her it was all about nerves ...

I'm glad apart from the potty issue you had a good day- it does get easier - honest!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

I never really had to worry about peeing or pooping in the ring with Riley as he would pee and poop on command..but the little guys will occasionally pee on command but are also known to hold it for extremely long periods of times. Cedar once did for about 16 hours when we were at show (it was shortly after I first got him and he wasn't showing but was along for the ride..so it is a worry with them..plus Robbie thinks he is a little stud muffin and likes to mark on everything (he's been neutered since 6 months)..