Simon's Rally Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon's Rally Results

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon's Rally Results

We just returned from our first Rally Excellent trial. And...

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!*

*We placed first out of one dog - Simon.

But still! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

Actually, he did do very well...there were three dogs in Ex B and only Simon in Ex A, and Simon had the highest score by five points. So, yay Simon!

It was a pretty quiet trial, so that was good. We got there in time to set up and relax a little. We did the walk-through, and I thought I had four dogs ahead of me so I went upstairs to retrieve Simon and start warming him up.

Suddenly, they were calling my number. ??? What? I'm not supposed to be first!?!

It turned out they wanted me to honor for the first dog. Ohhhh.

So, I had a couple of minutes to get him ready for that. He seemed pretty calm, so I just kept him still and steady until they called for us.

We have not practiced honoring at all. I only just remembered about it last night, so I was plenty nervous. And it was a sit. Simon gets a little too relaxed on long sits sometimes, and just melts to the floor. Well, about 30 seconds in, there he goes, melting. I said SIMON! SIT! And he straightened it back up. WHEW!

We were warming up well for the run, but then - bad handler - I stepped up to the ring gate before they called me, after the dog before me left, forgetting that they were changing over from B to A. It took a few minutes, and he got bored. I thought about backing him back out of the ring when I realized what was going on, but I felt already kind of committed, so we stuck it out. When will I learn not to step up there too early!?! :

So, he had an OK run. He missed the broad jump and had to retry. No big shock there - we haven't practiced the broad jump that much. :-[ I was just happy that he had two jumps, and he didn't leave the ring! ;D

His score was a 90. I know we lost three on the broad jump, and he was a little out of position the first time we did backwards three steps, so that was probably another three. He was looking out of the ring away from me on the sidestep right, so that's another three. Maybe another point for out of position somewhere. Probably the moving stand.

All in all, pretty good! We got a blue ribbon and our first leg!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Simon's Rally Results

very nicely done

(and lots of details for me who enjoys them too - thanks!)

pats all round

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Way to go, Connie and Simon!!!! WOOOT!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

WHOO HOO! That is wonderful! Congrats!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

good job..congrats to you both.

YEA!!! Congrats on a blue and a green!

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    When will I learn not to step up there too early!?! :
    I don't step into the ring until the judge or steward asks me too especially in obedience where the judge writes all of the scores into the judges book and that takes some time, then of course the stewards have to reset jumps. No reason to get in there before you are needed. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to leave the ring if they weren't ready. Your first priority is to your dog, not the judge or stewards. They don't always think about how their actions affect the dog. Always do what you think is best for the dog.

I've gone toe to toe with a judge who insisted that the next dog in rally had to be standing at the gate. The same gate the working dog had to leave thru. The same gate where the stewards set up the score board on one side and their table on the other to create a channel where 5 other people/dogs were standing. I told the judge I would not allow my daughter and her young dog to be put in such a very unsafe/unsettling position so I would be keeping them back in a more safe area. The judge argued with me but finally cleared everyone out of the area and I allowed Meghan move up but everyone was right back by the time she finished her run so she had to run the guantlet to get out of the ring. It was the dumbest set up I've ever seen and I've made note not to ever show under this judge again (this wasn't the first issue I'd had with her).

This past year I was next to go in the UA ring. The steward called me up to the gate but not yet in the ring. The judge said he needed to take a quick potty break. I said "ok" since the porta potties were right across from the ring (maybe 20' away) and stepped back to keep warming Murray up. I'd heel a little, look at the restroom, look at my watch, heel a little more. 45 min later (I'm not exaggerating) the judge finally shows up again (yes he was in the restroom the ENTIRE time). > Boy was I pissed off. The judge should have said "I'm going to take an hr break, put your dog back in the shade" or whatever. Murray was finished before we ever stepped foot into the ring. If that happens in the future, you better believe I'll be asking "exactly how long do you plan to be gone?"

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

WTG Simon and Connie! Congratulations - sounds like Simon is doing great!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Lydia, OMG! 45 minutes!!! Wow - well I'm glad to hear that story. I will take note and learn!

Points for me: I *did* wait until the other dogs had BOTH left the ring before I stepped up (they was only one entrance/exit today). At least I did remember that part. I got burned pretty bad on that with Simon in Rally Novice. This girl RUSHED her Australian Shepherd out of the ring right by us (and that day there was ANOTHER exit, she just decided to go back out the way she came in : ). Simon whipped his head around and got so focused on that dog, he spent the entire run at the very end of the leash, and when he wasn't doing that he was barking and jumping straight up and down. > NQ for us that day.

Well, live and learn huh? Maybe next time I will do a better job of remembering. You just get so antsy and excited to get up there.... :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congratulations!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

budbud is offline Senior Member

Great news for you and Angus ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast