So frustrated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So frustrated

DefaultSo frustrated

I drove 2 hrs with some friends to take Murray to a small specialty in Tucson today. It was hot there (about 85) but not THAT hot (much hotter when we train in the early am in the summer at 100 degrees). There was a nice breeze and I even wet Murray down before going in the ring. What a frikkin' disaster! I've never EVER seen him this way.

Murray just wasn't there...at all. :-\ He walked/moped thru the heeling pattern even on the slow. I had to give a second command. He did the down but not the sit or recall. He looked at me like he'd never seen those signals before. He didn't do a single sit or front the entire run. He walked out and back on his articles. Articles are his favorite exercise. He usually runs out so fast he kicks the articles all over. I even had to give a 2nd send command to send on the 2nd article because he just stood there staring blankly into space. He wasn't distracted. He just wasn't there mentally at all. He's been sleeping since we got home so I don't know what is going on.

I don't know what to do. We have our last 2 shows coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm seriously thinking about pulling him. I have to make a decision before Wed. I'm going to work him some more this weekend and see what I get but he worked fine last night and again this morning so I doubt I'll know anymore than I know right now. He even had his anal glands expressed last Fri and got a retest for his RBC which is low-normal but at least it is in the normal range now.

The only other thing going on is that Cricket is in heat. She was supposed to get spayed this week but she came into heat last week...about 1 month early. Essy was in heat in Jan and Murray wasn't this spacey so I don't know if Cricket is the issue or not. I'm so frustrated right now. :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So frustrated

Lydia, it can be sooooooooo frustrating! Pray things get straightened out. You need only one more leg, and that is what is the killer!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Ugh, sorry Lydia.... I feel your frustration!!

Maybe he was just having a really off day?? Or maybe Cricket in heat threw him... you said that Essy's heat didn't seem to bother him as much, but maybe because Cricket is a new member to your family? I dunno... just thinking out loud.

In any case, I hope he gets it back together for your next trial!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

aw I'm sorry you are so frustrated

I'm a worry wart about my dogs - if there was nothing obvious - like the heat (which would be a huge problem for brody) I'd worry about his health ...
    hoping he perks right up soon

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw Lydia, I'm sorry. You will work it out, one way or another.

Angus really melts in any kind of heat. I can't show him in the summer. I will never forget our very first Rally trial. It was in August, and everything was running late so we were in this building with no a/c for about four hours before his run. I really should have just taken him home, but we had driven two hours to get there and I just didn't know it would be as bad as it was.

He slogged through his run in SUPER slow-mo. :-\ No interest in anything, staring off into space like a zombie. I have never worked so hard in my life to keep him going - when usually the issue is to bring him down a bit.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day. Two things came to mind as I was reading your post- the first was that Murray just wasn't feeling well. Then I saw that Cricket is in heat. That could have something to do with it, too. Caleb's brain totaly turned off when a dog in class had just come into heat. He wasn't much better when the owners came the next week without her, either. He was only a baby then, too. Maybe 6 months old or so. Sure hope whatever was up with Murray was just a passing thing!

debjen is offline Senior Member

No words of wisdom here but hope he is okay and you can work through whatever was bothering him

Lydia,

I can definately sypathize with you. Sometimes there just does not seem to be an answer to why they do what they do when they do it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your upcoming shows. I know he can do it!

Lisa

Thanks everyone. Murray acts perfectly normal today. He's running around and wanting to play fetch. I didn't do any obedience with him today...thought I'd give him (and me ) a day off. I'm meeting with my OTCH training buddy tomorrow and she will help me decide if I'm going to pull him from our upcoming shows.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I know at the end of last year I thought about retiring Caleb. He was just so blah in the ring. I told him if he didn't want to do this anymore, I would let him retire and I'd get a puppy to start to train. So, he had a month and a half off from all competitions and light on the training. When we went our first trial the end of January, I could not believe the attitude I had in the ring again! My competition boy was back! Granted we still didn't have go-outs, but his attitude was there which means it is just a matter of time. Perhaps he does need some time off if you have been showing him a lot.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast