OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

  1. #1
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultOK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Our class tonight went SO well.

    Angus is the teacher's pet. Tonight she was watching him do sit/stays, and she said to me, "Oh my gosh, I want to take him home with me so bad." Ah, little does she know...

    Angus got lots of praise tonight from the instructor and the other students. Everyone seems to be so impressed with his heeling. It is just so VERY surreal, to hear them go on and on about how great he looks, what wonderful attention he has, how did I train him to do this or that, about how he is going to do so awesome in this trial coming up. One guy said he couldn't believe we didn't already have our CD. He seemed genuinely confused and surprised by this. He said Angus has been looking so good for a long time now, he thought we would have done it long ago.

    It was a regular Angus Love Fest!

    It made me think: Maybe I don't give Angus enough credit. I got so used to him being the "bad boy" in class, that maybe I'm having a hard time letting go of that image of him.

    Now, there. I have officially jinxed us for the trial. He will run out of the ring now for sure!

    Anyway. It was really neat. This instructor had Angus in her class a year or more ago, so she knows how far he has come.

    At one point tonight, she decided the game was going to be for her to feed our dogs, while we walk away and then call them to heel. I was like, "Oh sure, that's gonna work." So we did it, and he did come after I called him the second time. I praised him excitedly, then HE got all excited and decided to zoom the ring and play bow all the other dogs and check the other handlers for treats. I issued a commanding, ANGUS! COME! And he whipped around and took off like a bullet towards me, from the far end of the ring, and hit a perfect front. Everybody laughed. :HE'S GOOFY! JUST GOOFY!

    Anyway, the instructor said, "Now THERE'S MY ANGUS! That's the boy I remember!"

    You just never know what you're going to get with him.


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    I tell all my students that it is easier for us as instructors to see the improvement than the owner. You live with them 24/7 and we see you all about once or twice a week. So, we can see improvement. It does sound like he's growing up!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,187

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    I tell all my students that it is easier for us as instructors to see the improvement than the owner.
    So true! Also, people are notoriously harder on themselves than others ever would be so you are thinking about your "bad dog" and others are thinking "what a fantastic little worker with a great attitude." Personally, I'd much rather see a dog in the ring having fun, even getting the zoomies, than painfully watch as a bored/scared/uninterested dog gets a Q.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Personally, I'd much rather see a dog in the ring having fun, even getting the zoomies, than painfully watch as a bored/scared/uninterested dog gets a Q.
    I agree, Lydia! That is one thing that most people usually say about Caleb--he's having fun! Sometimes too much fun. Except for go outs of course! :P
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  7. #5
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    So true! Also, people are notoriously harder on themselves than others ever would be so you are thinking about your "bad dog" and others are thinking "what a fantastic little worker with a great attitude."
    That is it EXACTLY! I think our instructor said pretty much that very thing about him last night: "Look at Angus! I just love him - he is working that heeling every step! Angus is WORKING, the whole time!"

    Meanwhile, I was thinking, "OMG, look at him, he's forging."


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  8. #6
    Emma the Lab's Avatar
    Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    14,925

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    AWwww just too cute! Angus is such a good boy. :-*
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

    Nikki 6 months


    http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

  9. #7
    talleyJudy's Avatar
    talleyJudy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    1,275

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I praised him excitedly, then HE got all excited and decided to zoom the ring and play bow all the other dogs and check the other handlers for treats. I issued a commanding, ANGUS! COME! And he whipped around and took off like a bullet towards me, from the far end of the ring, and hit a perfect front. Everybody laughed. :HE'S GOOFY! JUST GOOFY!
    Wow, did that bring back memories and a big smile. ;D

    In one of my "previous lifetimes" I had an Italian Greyhound named Pasqualie that I took to obedience classes just for something to do as 'hubby of that time' worked the afternoon shift. Well Pasqualie did very, very, well in class and we had a very show experienced instructor who encouraged/insisted that I enter an AKC sanctioned obedience trial.

    At the end of the intermediate exercise, waiting to be excused/"exercise finished" by the judge, the judge said "I noticed that you never praise you dog; please praise you dog."
    I asked if I had to praise before the exercise was finished and he said "Yes, I will not formally excuse you from this exercise until you have praised your dog."
    "I really have to?"
    "YES."
    So I stood there, still at attention, Pasqualie in a formal, perfect sit close to my left foot, but I was standing too close to the judge - we were practically nose to nose, as he had approached me ( I knew exactly what would happen ).
    We did a perfect 'about face heel', heeled 10', heeled about again and stopped 3' feet in front of the judge. I again just stood there and looked directly into the judge's eyes and he looked into mine; then he said "Praise Your Dog!" I kept eye contact with the judge, bit the inside of my cheek and whispered "Good boy."
    Pasqualie absolutely EXPLODED - jumped up the very front of me and scrabbled his way up to get nose to nose with mine and of course then I had to wrap my arms around him or else he would fall to the floor on his back. The judge doubled over with laughter and when he came up for air with tears in his eyes, he took a formal posture again, cleared his throat, and as I stood there with Pasqualie in my arms,
    he said, "Exercise finished" and then broke up laughing again.

    And no, we were not 'faulted' for that particular display.

    Ahhhh, thanks for the memories Angus.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

    Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

  10. #8
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy
    Wow, did that bring back memories and a big smile. ;D

    In one of my "previous lifetimes" I had an Italian Greyhound named Pasqualie that I took to obedience classes just for something to do as 'hubby of that time' worked the afternoon shift. Well Pasqualie did very, very, well in class and we had a very show experienced instructor who encouraged/insisted that I enter an AKC sanctioned obedience trial.

    At the end of the intermediate exercise, waiting to be excused/"exercise finished" by the judge, the judge said "I noticed that you never praise you dog; please praise you dog."
    I asked if I had to praise before the exercise was finished and he said "Yes, I will not formally excuse you from this exercise until you have praised your dog."
    "I really have to?"
    "YES."
    So I stood there, still at attention, Pasqualie in a formal, perfect sit close to my left foot, but I was standing too close to the judge - we were practically nose to nose, as he had approached me ( I knew exactly what would happen ).
    We did a perfect 'about face heel', heeled 10', heeled about again and stopped 3' feet in front of the judge. I again just stood there and looked directly into the judge's eyes and he looked into mine; then he said "Praise Your Dog!" I kept eye contact with the judge, bit the inside of my cheek and whispered "Good boy."
    Pasqualie absolutely EXPLODED - jumped up the very front of me and scrabbled his way up to get nose to nose with mine and of course then I had to wrap my arms around him or else he would fall to the floor on his back. The judge doubled over with laughter and when he came up for air with tears in his eyes, he took a formal posture again, cleared his throat, and as I stood there with Pasqualie in my arms,
    he said, "Exercise finished" and then broke up laughing again.

    And no, we were not 'faulted' for that particular display.

    Ahhhh, thanks for the memories Angus.
    I LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! that story! hahahaha! Oh my gosh - what a classic! I guess that will teach that judge to demand a handler praise their dog! Sometimes there is a reason we are keeping quiet!

    I have to praise Simon constantly in Rally to keep his spirits up and his tail wagging. Angus: No praise until we are finished! Too risky!

    Oh, man. Thanks for a great story!


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  11. #9
    3TailsWaggin's Avatar
    3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,258

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Congrats, it does sound like Angus has come a long way. You will nail your CD, 1, 2, 3
    BTW, how is the fighting issue going? Hope things are improving with that on the homefront too

  12. #10
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: OK, I have to brag just a little...bear with me...:)

    Thanks for asking Linda

    Well, like it always does in between incidents, everything seems pretty normal now. It is having the effect of making me more sensitive to their body language, and I think I *might* be getting better at reading them. Which will be helpful in some way, I think.

    Talked to the vet about it today. He didn't really have any advice to offer, but he's testing Angus' thyroid level. I would really love it if this was going to be that simple. I am hoping, but not too hard.

    Everyone is just full of compliments for Angus lately. The vet staff couldn't get over how well-behaved he was. He is really turning into a wonderfully awesome dog...if we can just figure out the fighting with Simon thing, everything will be right with the universe.


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25