Obedience problem....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obedience problem....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience problem....

I guess it's me.
    I just am finding myself drifting further and further away from obedience.
    I love agility. It's fast, it's fun, training is fun and fast. And the dogs always have a lot of fun.
    Obedience has become this boring chore.
    I still want to finish Ruger's UD, but after that I think I'm done.
    Maybe it's a phase.
    Maybe I'll feel differently about it later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience problem....

I can see that. I know a lot of people at the club who have drifted over to agility. They say they rarely do obedience anymore.

Maybe you just need a little break. Only do what is fun for you and fun for them!

I am taking a freestyle class with Angus. I could get seriously hooked on that. :P

I want to get CDs and REs on both the boys, but after that, I was thinking I would do agility with Simon and maybe keep doing freestyle with Angus. Or, if not freestyle with Angus, tracking. We have one person at the club who gives classes and has a test about twice a year. CDX seems pretty unattainable to me at this point.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

GAH!!! NO! NO!! NO!!!

Obedience numbers are already on the downfall. Clubs don't want to hold trials. It's a losing proposition for most clubs.

Obedience is fun. It's a different kind of fun. It's not easy but then it's not supposed to be easy. It's precision. It's a thing of beauty when it's done well. If it was supposed to be easy they would have obedience events like who can snatch a hot dog off the handler's plate first, who can knock grandma off her feet first, who can hump the mailman's leg the fastest. :

That's the problem with people anymore, including our children. They want everything to be "easy". Can't get a math problem right because it takes some brain power. No problem Johnny, you still get an A. Can't read because it's too hard and takes effort on your part. No problem Johnny, we'll still give you a diploma. Can't get a job because you'd actually have to ~gasp~ work. No problem Johnny, we'll give you welfare.

Yes, this is a very touchy subject for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

ummmm running a shi mix and a young crazy dog and a scared little chi I can't say I think agility is easy

for me it's a lot more fun for us then obedience - and that's why I play it and teach it
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I feel exactly the same way Lydia.

Actually, I will have to go back and cut and paste a conversation I had with someone who was actually enquiring about a puppy.

They wanted a show puppy, and when I told them that I didn't sell show puppies, but they were more then welcome to pursue obedience and rally and field and agility with the puppy and if they do, I would reverse the registration after getting two titles and clearances, I got a reply something along the lines of 'We actually have to train the dog for those things.'

I like training my dog for obedience, whether she ever makes it to the ring or not, its fun to see what she's capable of.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Lydia, agility is NOT easy to train. It takes the same amount of time as doing obedience. I've spent about the same time training agility and obedience to my dogs.

But, it's more FUN. A Lot more fun for the dog and the handler.

And, as an instructor it's a lot more fun to teach!!! You can be so creative in course designs and handling situations that you just can't do in obedience.

I think, for me, one of the main problems is that there really isn't anyone down here doing obedience anymore. Monnie and I used to do it, but she doesn't do it anymore. I get bored with it. The shows are not nearly as fun.

Again... maybe it's a phase with me.

I have just been noticing that except for the bare basics, I've taught Remington nothing about obedience work (formal) but he is doing all the agility equipment now and we are beginning to work on handling more and a bit of distance work as well.

It's not that he can't do the obedience work.. he can. I'm just bored with teaching it.

That's the problem with people anymore, including our children. They want everything to be "easy". Can't get a math problem right because it takes some brain power. No problem Johnny, you still get an A. Can't read because it's too hard and takes effort on your part. No problem Johnny, we'll still give you a diploma. Can't get a job because you'd actually have to ~gasp~ work. No problem Johnny, we'll give you welfare.
    I don't understand the above paragraph in relation to agility at all??? Agility is not easy. They don't give away agility titles. Trust me, I've missed out on Q's by tenths of seconds, and I go home and work on ways to save time, etc... It's just much more fun to do the training, more engaging for handler and dogs.

Awe. I am sorry you are bored.

This couldn't be a better timed post. I just did my first OB 1-1 lesson and a group Rally O last night. Both my girls were looking at me like "Lady, do YOU really know what you are doing?" They also seemed a little bored with it. One of the rally signs was to send over the jump, that's where both got very excited. I am in the field running hunt tests right now and just thought this would be something different.

Good luck with your decision.

debjen is offline Senior Member

I got more into agility with Riley because he would not do out of sights...and I do concentrate more on that but will also get at least a CD and rally titles on the little guys..I enjoy both tho I do enjoy agility more..the boys are happy to be working and getting treats no matter what..LOL..tho I do them happier in agility too..but I am also not pushing the obedience as much until they are older..Robbie's first obedience trial was at 2 years of age and his next was about 6 months later..and I don't know when his next will be..LOL..but we are just taking it slow and easy..

Hmm, I really like training in general- I love it when things "click" for her. I don't care what discipline it is- agility, obedience or tracking (we do all three)- I adore this dog and I love watching her work.

I was find I get bored with training unless I really vary it up- we split training sessions half and half between agility and obedience, we rotate days between agility and obedience, we track on nice days, we go to seminars, we go to matches, we go to parks and schools, etc.

I hate to see the dwindling numbers in obedience as well- but I also don't want to see unhappy people or dogs in the ring You have to do what you enjoy.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb and I have soooooooooooooo much fun training obedience! It is a challenge to keep it fun and interesting. I love it! The days that I try to give him off, he's almost begging to do something. I guess for me the challenge is how to keep it fun for both of us. If I am bored and having a bad day, so is my dog. So, I work on me to set the pace for my boy. Man, I love it! A number of my students have remarked about how we keep it fun, even at the grulling advanced levels that take lots and lots of repetition
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast