Offside Weaves

Thread: Offside Weaves

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultOffside Weaves

Yes, Yes, YES, Remington is getting them. In fact, he prefers offside.

I should have taught this to Ruger, but I didn't and now (he's six) he simply won't do it. I vowed Remington would do it... and he is

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Offside Weaves

offside weaves are really nice. Of course then you will want independent weaves and then weaves at a distance, being able to rear cross a dog in the weaves etc..
    Congrats on the offside weaves!!!

Kelly and Amber

Gotta have those offsides. Linda, I can't imagine competing in Open and Excellent without offsides. I'm awed at how well you have done with your dogs without them.

Murray prefers offside weaves. I had some issues with his weaves about a year ago (remember ) I figured out that he did better offside because when he was onside I was crowding him basically trying to unconsciously keep him in heel position...damn obedience. When he was offside, I didn't do that. I started giving him more space (a lot more space like 10') on both sides and wahlah, he weaves beautifully.

The utility sends have helped our sends, especially sends to the weaves, immensely. Murray never ceases to amaze me when I can send him at a distance of 15'+ to do 12 weaves and he nails the entry. At that point I don't care what else happens on the course because nothing could make me prouder than that moment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yay, congrats! I always cringe when I see people doing a bunch of awkward handling in order to get their dog onto the left for the weaves ...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I always cringe when I see people doing a bunch of awkward handling in order to get their dog onto the left for the weaves ...
    I cringe too, and I'm one of the people doing the awkward handling. Actually, I've learned to RUN LIKE HELL to get where I need to be to get Ruger into the weaves correctly. Oh la.!

Remington is actually finding the offside entry on his own now. We haven't gotten weaving down to a science yet, but he's slowing getting it. Hoping he'll be ready in October for a run in Novice.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Good for you two! I never really thought about this when training and ended up retraining weaves to get Jake to take the offisde on his own : Live and learn eh?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

debjen is offline Senior Member

wooohooo...offside weaves are great..