Remington Running Contacts

Thread: Remington Running Contacts

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRemington Running Contacts

By Jove! The boy is really starting to get it, and so is Ruger. We lose a LOT of time on contact obstacles, so I am running like hell with the dogs and they are hitting that contact in stride very nicely.

What I did was place a jump about six feet from the bottom of the obstacle so they have to physically gather/collect themselves on the contact before taking off for the jump. Seems to be working well.

BTW, just wanted to mention that another benefit of doing running contacts is less stress on the dog's shoulders and spine. Especially when you are running bigger dogs (like labs). Running down a ramp and slamming on the brakes to do the 2o2o methods is really very hard on the dog's body, physically.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Remington Running Contacts

Yea for R&R! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by raian

BTW, just wanted to mention that another benefit of doing running contacts is less stress on the dog's shoulders and spine. Especially when you are running bigger dogs (like labs). Running down a ramp and slamming on the brakes to do the 2o2o methods is really very hard on the dog's body, physically.
    That is why I did running contacts with Murray. Stopping on the teeter or dog walk is doable but the A-frame was just not going to happen with a 90# dog. We spent a lot of time teaching Murray to rock back on his hocks as he went down the downside of Aframe to help offset the stress on his shoulders but ultimately decided to let him have a running contact instead. We tried the rock back method with Essy as well but also gave up on that for the Aframe. She does have a 2o2o for teeter and dog walk though.

Awesome! Both of my dogs do running A-frames if I'm ahead of them or there's a tunnel to focus them ahead (otherwise I have to slow them down, which is 2o2o for Boo and moving contact for Dusty). I've heard of a jump at the bottom working well with small dogs, so it's neat that it worked for your big dogs as well ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs

That is why I did running contacts with Murray. Stopping on the teeter or dog walk is doable but the A-frame was just not going to happen with a 90# dog. We spent a lot of time teaching Murray to rock back on his hocks as he went down the downside of Aframe to help offset the stress on his shoulders but ultimately decided to let him have a running contact instead. We tried the rock back method with Essy as well but also gave up on that for the Aframe. She does have a 2o2o for teeter and dog walk though.
    Same reason I do them with Jake, it was actually our trainer who said it wasn't fair to expect him to do 2o2o when we were in class with a Jack Russell and a Wheaten. He's happier and so am I - if we miss a few Q's because of it I'm fine because of how much better I feel about the stress on his joints

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

I have to do a 2o2o with Jazz -- she is just too wild and I need time to catch up to her. We have NADAC trials this weekend, last ones (in Feb) each class she got worse about her a-frame so I finally trained in the ring with her. Then she really stuck it the next time. She also is kept leaner than some Labs (she weighs only about 55 lb.) and is smaller (19 7/8" according to agility rep). However, with a heavier built dog, just like with my pug, I would lean towards running contacts like you are doing with Remington.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com