Agility Question, Running Contacts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agility Question, Running Contacts

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility Question, Running Contacts

Is there any other way to train reliable running contacts without using hoops at the end of the contacts?

I'm trying to get my dog to think about his stride, and I've put a jump about five feet at the exit of the contacts, so he can't leap off the contact, he must run down the contact to hit the grass and then take a stride and jump.

Just wondering if this will work in the long run for reliable running contacts?

I'm tired of the 2o2o method as my dogs are slow and stopping them is just making runs slower.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility Question, Running Contacts

Brody and Thea do a moving contact - they aren't going top speed as the run through the contact nor do they even pause in 2o2o position

for them it was rep rep rep with changes of direction, jumps, and occasionally treats right at the base 1 step out, 2 steps out etc...

Thea in particular (all 6 pounds of her!) is very capable of blowing off a contact without a reminder to steady... but she does know her job ...

It seems to me that as the purpose of the hoop is to make the dog aware of the striding anything that serves the same purpose consistently would work

that said Sally could bounce to a jump 5 feet away probably and totally miss the contact ... the typical bounce set up in class she treats as an oxer
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I am training running contact with Panda. My instructor suggested using a mouse pad at the end of the contact equipment. The mouse pad is one dog lenth away from the contact obstacle. The dog is trained initally to go over the contact and then lay down at the target. Eventually, you let the dog keep going without the target (fading after the dog uses the target successfully.

Lisa

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There are several ways to train a running contact
    You can use stride regulators on the contact equipement such as swimming pool noodles. and place them so you get a stride that lands in the middle of the contact zone. Keep in mind some dogs will change their stride at shows and either lengthen or shorten it.
    You can teach a dog to pounce on a "hit it" board this is a small yellow board. then you teach your dog to hit it just running and after jumps then coming out of tunnels etc.. then you move it to the contact on a lowered contact obstacle. and gradually raise the obstacle back up. People often use a clicker to teach this method.
    I am sure there are other methods out there if you do a search on google or even if you check out Clean Run Magazine's bookstore at www.cleanrun.com

Kelly

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've read the "lay down" method but think this will make it slower than the 2o2o method. I like the stride idea with the swimming pool noodles.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this for me. Where would you actually put them, all the way down the obstacle or just on the contact. I'm a bit concerned that putting something on the contact itself would cause my dogs to leap over it.

So far the jump at the end is helping as they have to gather themselves a bit coming down, thus making them hit the contact area. I use the word "touch" and point as I run with them. (Yes, I can run beside all of my dogs on the contact obstacles, none are so fast that I can't... that's why I'm working on running through the contact).

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I *THINK* the videos posted in an earlier thread show a non-hoop method (I'm having computer troulbes so can't go back to look at them). It's not perfect - she makes some mistakes, but she acknowledges them and says what she did to fix them

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, I've not heard of hoops for contacts. I have always taught my dogs a "whoa" (slow down) command. As I put on my brakes and straighten up, I say "touch". And then we go. So far, so good... but then this assumes you are running w/ your dog and not trying to point and click from the middle of the ring. I like to get my exercise out of it too, lol. ;D

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I am actually teaching a running contact to my rescue pug, Buster but only on the a-frame. At this point I am just rolling a small treat out ahead of him as he comes down. Seems to be working but if it doesn't we'll try the hoop at the bottom (several pug owners I've e-mailed with have done the hoops successfully).
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Hmmm, I've not heard of hoops for contacts. I have always taught my dogs a "whoa" (slow down) command. As I put on my brakes and straighten up, I say "touch". And then we go. So far, so good... but then this assumes you are running w/ your dog and not trying to point and click from the middle of the ring. I like to get my exercise out of it too, lol. ;D
    me too - when possible .. Sally would happily work wayyyyyyyy out in front of me so I'm afraid to modify a stopped contact with her ...

the idea behind a running contact is that the dog doesn't need to adjust their stride at all but without slowing keeps right on trucking over the contact - thats why I call Brody and Thea's contacts moving contacts ... they do not stop but they do not blast either...

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    the idea behind a running contact is that the dog doesn't need to adjust their stride at all but without slowing keeps right on trucking over the contact - thats why I call Brody and Thea's contacts moving contacts ... they do not stop but they do not blast either...
    With Jazz I have to have a 2o2o contact -- I would never keep control of her in the ring and I have to catch up!
    With Cori, who is slower, I more prefer what you are calling a "moving contact" although with reinforcement she does a 2o2o. Now with Buster (rescued pug) a running contact will probably be best on the a-frame as pugs are very "top heavy" and it is too hard for them to stop coming down such a steep a-frame. I just took him in my indoor arena for the first time a bit ago (finally can get the doors open as of yesterday -- ice and 4 to 5 foot drifts made that impossible for most of the winter and for the last 6 weeks) and my a-frame was higher than we ended with in class but lower than full height -- seemed to carry over okay to just keep him moving and treat him further out (can't roll treat as it is a sand surface). Time will tell......
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast