Yeah - we finally made it around the figure 8 with food in our rally class

Thread: Yeah - we finally made it around the figure 8 with food in our rally class

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultYeah - we finally made it around the figure 8 with food in our rally class

My first debut into Rally Advanced was not the best. They had the figure 8 with food and Moose honed in quickly. I actually successfully pulled him back to me twice (and the figure 8 was at the end of the course), but after the third time I gave up. I had so many people coming up to tell me how funny he was to watch :-[

So, I've been taking a Rally Advanced class and we have really worked on Moose. We had open bowls of food and treats last night and we went thru the course successfully twice!!!! We have a trial coming up on the 22nd so I think we are ready.

However, it didn't stop Moose from attempting to have a snack as we walked by the bowls to get his leash after we had already left the course>
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Yeah - we finally made it around the figure 8 with food in our rally class

WOOHOOOOOO MOOSE!!!

That's awesome, Sharon!

That dreaded exercise is going to be the death of us, for sure.

Good luck in your upcoming trial!! Keep us updated!

DefaultRe: Yeah - we finally made it around the figure 8 with food in our rally class

YEA!!!

That is Murray's favorite exercise. He says there's nothing like getting a little snack while your working hard. : I always dreaded seeing it on course. Murray had been corrected enough in practice that we never had an issue in a trial but man that boy was persistant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Sally would literally have to be DEAD to be able to that - LOL

it must come from all her starvation as a puppy but I have NEVER met a dog more interested in food (and I know Nancy's fridge opening Tristan!)
    well done!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That's wonderful!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

OMG, I HATE the offset Figure 8! Hate it hate it hate it!

I have always dreaded seeing it at a trial. In Chattanooga last fall, there it was. Oh no. I asked the judge a question about how she wanted us to enter it, and confessed I was plenty nervous about it. This is Angus' Achilles heel. And our judge had it loaded with food on one side, toys on the other. OH! THE HUMANITY!

I was convinced it was going to be the food that was going to trip him up. But Angus loves to surprise me. We were not even all the way to the first station when he spotted the Figure 8, four stations ahead. He raced ahead, picked up the fuzzy toy and started butt-tucking.

To my great amazement, I was able to reel him back in and finish the course with no further deductions. He ended up finishing second - he actually tied with Simon on score, but had the faster time - even with his little "detour."

We are on to RE now, and I hope not to see the Offset Figure 8 again! It makes my knees weak!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

I hate this excercise too, and it's been in my last several show - either the first one or the last one. We have a slightly different problem though - Emilu is so suspicious of those bowls that she's supposed to avoid, that she gets really weird and lags terribly and tries to walk far around them without looking at them. The only time I had trouble was when a judge put a toy directly on the floor. She saw it as we were heeling toward the sign and ran over to get it! I think she didn't realize it was the dreaded off-set figure 8 At our last show with it, a golden retriever ran over and got the toy and wouldn't release it at all. They had to take him out of the ring, and several people gathered around him to try to get him to let it go (our Susan was finally successful). Emilu was there watching the whole thing unfold, and could barely walk by them when it was her turn. Even the judge remarked that she had never seen a dog so afraid of the bowls of toys! Ah - Emilu! What a quirk she is.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Even the judge remarked that she had never seen a dog so afraid of the bowls of toys!
    that is funny! Moose can react very similarly as well so I have to be careful how I correct him.

Connie - congratulations! I did not know both Simon and Angus had gotten their RAs. I don't know if I'll do the RAE or just focus on the CDX when we finally get our CD (I'm staying hopeful). We have so much to work on if and when we finish our CD.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Congrats!

My kids know VERY WELL what "LEAVE IT!" means that actually I have a harder time getting them to go close to the food bowls (once I say "LEAVE IT!"" than to call them off!

patm is offline Senior Member

Just a note of caution to those who do Rally - you do have to be careful saying "leave-it" to them, especially if you say it in too "commanding" of a voice - it could be considered a correction and not allowed. I've never seen it happen, but they discuss it on my Rally board.