4 H agility ?

Thread: 4 H agility ?

brody is offline Senior Member

Default4 H agility ?

anybody currently involved in 4H?

in 4H dog stuff? most particularly agility?

I'm looking into running a program here but its been years since I was 4 H involved - and dogs were not part of the club I participated in ... it was horses for me and cattle for most of the group where we were

I'd love to know ANYTHING about 4H experiences - current issues broadly speaking and dog stuff you wish you'd known when you got involved!

thanks
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 4 H agility ?

I'm not myself but one of the gals I train with has done some and I had them out to where I train and teach to work on some contact equipment..but it was just the one time...If you have something specific I can ask her.

thanks - one thing I'm very curious about is how she structures her program?

how many classes? how many levels? does she run local shows to graduate the kids?

I'm trying to determine a sensible structure .. that will have the kids feeling like they are moving forward without overwhelming the dogs (or me - LOL)

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I did 4-H dogs growing up - but obedience, not agility. We had meetings once/week, for about an hour each time. That was true of most every project (dogs, cattle, horses, swine, cooking, knitting, you name it). The classes were more or less the same as standard obedience classes I've been to - so I imagine you could teach the agility classes in the same way you would teach a standard agility class for adults...

As for shows - I would check with your county 4-H coordinator (not sure if that's the right term, but at least where I grew up there was a County-wide 4-H program that oversaw each individual club). They would be the ones to organize competitions. If you don't have a county-wide program, I don't see why you couldn't have your kids compete in standard agility competitions.... I also raised cattle for 4-H, and we went to non-4-H shows all the time.

Good for you for getting involved in teaching with 4-H - its such a great experience for kids.

Thanks - sounds like the basic structure hasn't changed much - we met for 2 hours every other week at various barns to do various things around horses ... it was great!

I have a fairly active volunteer life and just gave up a big role in my political life and am considering racheting back in another group so think I have some more time

(I've also discovered I love teaching agility! unlike obedience which was work for me)

cheers

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I've thought of getting involved with 4-H and dogs as well, but I have no clue who to contact. I too love teaching agility. I love doing obedience, but don't really like teaching it as the majority of students do not have the comittment to stick with it long enough to see results. Obedience is a slow training process. Agility you can start to see results almost immediately, which really hooks people

I totally agree with you - a tiny sequence or getting through a tunnel the first time and people get jazzed .

I also like the fact that dogs are obviously happy - all types of dogs seem to enjoy agility which makes it easier for me ... as well the hands off nature of it prevents some of the over corrections I've seen doled out by error - which frustrate me no end

I'm thinking this might be fun all round

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I've thought of getting involved with 4-H and dogs as well, but I have no clue who to contact. I too love teaching agility. I love doing obedience, but don't really like teaching it as the majority of students do not have the comittment to stick with it long enough to see results. Obedience is a slow training process. Agility you can start to see results almost immediately, which really hooks people
    You can find state 4-H councils here: http://www.fourhcouncil.edu/find4h.aspx - each state should have a listing of all of their clubs - for example, the California website has a ZIP code locator to find clubs in your area. You can contact the local club, or the County-wide coordinator, and they should be able to tell you how to get involved. You may have to wait until September - I think that is when a lot of clubs start new projects for the year... I know where I grew up, they had dog agility in 4-H, so I"m sure its possible.